Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NORM123

Nov 19, 2019
Try to at least run with 1 dimm per die and for your gpu you need to update the Bios, unfortunately the latest bios aren't stable for what I experienced.
If you disable cpu core boost performance with the latest bios you won't be able to post.
I change the system to the servers2016, and try3.4ghz in r20 take 8000, but I get 30000 in CPUz, it's strange, I think 30000 score is normal situation for this CPU. could test what epyc 7551 score in cpuz thx

MrCake117

Feb 28, 2019
Japan
I change the system to the servers2016, and try3.4ghz in r20 take 8000, but I get 30000 in CPUz, it's strange, I think 30000 score is normal situation for this CPU. could test what epyc 7551 score in cpuz thx
That what i get with 2 7551 ES clocked at 3.4ghz and 1 dimm per ccx
I was running 1 dimm per die before and the score almost the same for this workload.
You should really consider running 1 dimm per die (at least 4 dimm per socket)

[EDIT]

I was running 14dimm out of 16

Last edited:

NORM123

Nov 19, 2019
That what i get with 2 7551 ES clocked at 3.4ghz and 1 dimm per ccx
I was running 1 dimm per die before and the score almost the same for this workload.
You should really consider running 1 dimm per die (at least 4 dimm per socket)

View attachment 12336
sorry the picture is low quality i cant read it. So i need more dimm for my motherboard which can get same score? i am thinking to buy more 32GB ECC RAM for 4 dimm per socket

MrCake117

Feb 28, 2019
Japan
sorry the picture is low quality i cant read it. So i need more dimm for my motherboard which can get same score? i am thinking to buy more 32GB ECC RAM for 4 dimm per socket
I edited my previous post so you should be able to check the picture in full res

Yes you should at least run 4 dimm per socket

Here is some bench with mixed workload on a 16 core epyc ,on a 32 one it will be even worst

https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-naples-memory-population-performance-impact-at-16-cores/

Quade

Nov 13, 2019
@NORM123 Quad/Octa channel will yield the most gains, single channel is always bad regardless of the platform (looking at you, laptops).

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I've seen alot of good benchmarks on here of overclock performance however havnt seen any for single core performance. Im looking for a workstation CPU with good clock speed, but would also like RDIMMs. so what kind of single core performance an an AMD epyc give
It's a Zen1 architecture with complicated NUMA topology, and with no workstation-class motherboards available. Not ideal for general-purpose workstations, regardless of clock speed ;)

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
THX,when I got the h11dsi, it was bios2.0( produced 2019/9/17), so I need to downgrade my BIOS? or enable some option in BIOS?
It's weird that this new bios even works with the ES.

Also i just remembered there was a problem with zenstates and dual CPU systems, did you check if the clock applies to both CPUs?

This is the procedure you have to follow, if the clock is only applying to 1 CPU
Hello

So about multiple CPUs configuration you just need to start AsusZenstates as usual,click on apply in order to apply your custom pstates settings to CPU0.

-Once is done go in task manager,find AsusZsSrv.exe (not AsusZenStates.exe) then click on define affinity.
-After you'll change Group 0 to group 1,check "use all core" and click Ok.
-Now you're able to modify the CPU1 pstates by clicking on apply in AsusZenstates app.

In order to revert to CPU0 just change group 0 and don't forget to check "use all core" in define affinity .
Each time you reboot the computer you'll need to apply this process.
If you get an "access denied" error when you want to change the cpu affinity just kill the process and restart it .

I also contacted supermicro in order to ask for a custom bios but they didn't approve my request unless you pay at least 500 motherboard/BIOS...

Imgur

I hope everything is clear for you

Thank you

NORM123

Nov 19, 2019
It's weird that this new bios even works with the ES.

Also i just remembered there was a problem with zenstates and dual CPU systems, did you check if the clock applies to both CPUs?

This is the procedure you have to follow, if the clock is only applying to 1 CPU
thx , i find the reason which is each CPU need 4 dimm.

NORM123

Nov 19, 2019
other problem is the vrm, I use the dual 40*40*10mm fan to cooling vrm, but it still will over 100°c 3.5@1.2v . it happens when I render with c4d or stress tests fpu. now I adjust the CPU 3.0@1.14v. The highest temperature 90°c ( vrm). could you share how do you cooling the vrm?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
other problem is the vrm, I use the dual 40*40*10mm fan to cooling vrm, but it still will over 100°c 3.5@1.2v . it happens when I render with c4d or stress tests fpu. now I adjust the CPU 3.0@1.14v. The highest temperature 90°c ( vrm). could you share how do you cooling the vrm?
2 threads, some deburring+cleaning and it's ready for a test run.

(no I'm not trying to cool the chokes, it was just easier to mill it like that)
You have to DIY something, i don't think aftermarket VRM Heatsinks for these boards exist.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Update on the Bios Mod:

After bricking MrCakes system multiple times i managed to unlock the complete AMD CBS Menu on a Supermicro H11DSi-NT.

Bad News, not everything seems to work... The Custom Core P-States don't seem to do anything for example. Memory OC seems to work a bit.

Are there any willing testsubjects here with different mainboards? (The recovery was always possible via IPMI for MrCake)

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Update on the Bios Mod:

After bricking MrCakes system multiple times i managed to unlock the complete AMD CBS Menu on a Supermicro H11DSi-NT.

Bad News, not everything seems to work... The Custom Core P-States don't seem to do anything for example. Memory OC seems to work a bit.

Are there any willing testsubjects here with different mainboards? (The recovery was always possible via IPMI for MrCake)
I've got the H11DSi (not the NT), so not exactly a different board.
This sounds pretty amazing, any chance you could do a write-up of the process, so dummies like me can follow it?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I've got the H11DSi (not the NT), so not exactly a different board.
This sounds pretty amazing, any chance you could do a write-up of the process, so dummies like me can follow it?
But you're using retail CPUs and a newer Bios version than 1.0c, right?

I'll write up the process, but first I need to do some cleaning up and remove unnecessary steps.

Reactions: Zhang and RageBone

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
So if anyone wants to DIY this mod heres what you need for SuperMicro boards:

UEFITool
https://puissanceled.com/vrac/Bios_modding/softs/UEFITool.exe
IFR Extractor
https://puissanceled.com/vrac/Bios_modding/softs/Universal_IFR_Extractor.exe
HexEdit:
I'm using FlexHex for comparison etc and SiSoft Hex-Editor for quick changes
AMIBCP 5.02.0031
Search it, i won't link because AMI often gets mad.
NotePad++
standard editor works too, but the formatting is shit

This is only for Supermicro Boards. for different Boards with fully locked CBS you have to find another Option like Eventlog you can give up. Boards with partially unlocked CBS should only need the BCP edit and maybe a IFR edit of the CBS menu.
Open your rom in UEFITool, use text search and find the following things AMITSE CbsSetupDXE EventLogSetupPage

Extract the PE32 image Section from each one as-is.
Run CbsSetupDXE and EventLogSetupPage through the IFRexctractor and open the .txt's in NotePad++
Note down the first marked string from Form Set and add the part from Form, do this for both IFR Files (cbs and event).

CBS is almost always:
Code:
E3 35 45 B0 04 30 46 49 9E B7 14 94 28 98 30 53 (00 70)
strings.png
Open AMITSE in HexEdit search the String from EventLogPage, and replace it with the CBS string. Save.
Go back to UEFITool and Replace AS-IS the AMITSE module with the modded one. Save the ROM.
Open the ROM in AMIBCP and spend the next 30 minutes setting every single CBS Entry from default to User. Save again.
Flash.

If submenus are still missing you have to do an IFR Edit.
Explained here if it's a simple lock (switching 46 02 to 47 02):
Modding the Asus Prime X370 Pro BIOS

If you don't have the 46 02 lock:

Downloads H11DSi(-NT same bios):
V1.3, (not IFR edited, should work anyway) untested:
Amitsemodbcp1.3
V1.0C (IFR Edited, probabaly unnecessary) tested has some cosmetic issues:
DIDpatchmin1

Both of them have also a patch in the CBS P-states to select a DID lower than 8, but this didn't make the P-states work.

Edit:
Added to start post, please check there for the latest versions.

Last edited: