Epyc 3251 thermal paste replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wow, I’m about to get the same motherboard, I never thought that this cpu didn’t had a heat-spreader. Help me out with something, is just me or the socket size is not that big as the SP4/TR4 of the EPYC 7K series?, if that is the case, I could use a Noctua CPU cooler like the Nh-l12s?, any chance you can share the distance between the bracket mount points? Just to check if I would need to mod the brackets of the cpu cooler?. Also that heatsink looks a lot like the one included with the Xeon D-2100, any chance that supermicro are using the same heatsink and that the cpu brackets are the same? Thanks!
This board does have a heat sink. It just doesn’t have active cooling, which you don’t need if you’re putting it into a 1U case.

if you do need active cooling get the 8C+ model of the motherboard instead of the 8C. It has a fan mounted on the cpu heat sink.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
I actually have a Xeon D running in a 1U case, but with Noctua fans that as you mention doesn’t provide enough airflow and I can’t use the stock fans because of the noise. So I’m thinking in move to a mini-itx case, that provides more height for a CPU fan but are still small enough to cover my main needs, which are: low-noise/low-energy/small-space. I’m actually looking into this AMD motherboard because the Xeon D-2100 from supermicro doesn’t have a x16 PCIe slot and I need that :/ .

Btw, just to double check , the heigh of the heatsink is 1U right?, so will not allow a fan when using a 1U case?

Thanks!

Last edited:

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The 8C+ and 8C both fit in 1U yes. You can’t buy a supported aftermarket cooler for the 8C but you could possibly rig something up yourself, there’s some room for a fan obviously because Supermicro was able to add one to the 8C+.
I have this board in a 1U case with 2 FAN-0100L4 Supermicro fans and I don’t think it’s loud at all.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
are you sure that the 8C+ is 1U??.. that looks like the same heatsink the 8C has plus a fan, so I suspect that it will more than 1U

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
But if you are sticking this board in a 1U case I would not get the active cooler. You don’t need it. Buy the board and get a couple of FAN-0100L4 Supermicro fans.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
Yes I’m sure

I just got a response from Supermicro (is amazing that they take the time to respond this kind of questions from individual customers, kudos for that to them!). And the total height of the M11SDV-8C+-LN4F is 69.2mm which is more than 1U.

Regards!

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hmmm. That doesn’t seem right to me but who am I to contradict the people that make the board. The X10SDV-8C+ is 1U compatible. Did they just stick a MUCH larger fan on the M11SDV-8C+?

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
Actually when I got the active cooling part for replace the original heatsink of my X11SDV-8C-TP8F, it was practically the same heatsink with a fan on top.

Petr

Apr 22, 2017
Hi!
I would recommend Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut paste - Thermal Grizzly High Performance Cooling Solutions - Hydronaut. It has no silicone what makes it very good for long term exposure to high temperatures - I use it in many laptops, even those with 45W CPUs running at full load for extended time and have good experience with the stability over years of usage.
I am not affiliated in any way with the company, just telling my experience, BTW.

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
How does it work?
So, without the top panel, and replacing the stock fan for a Noctua NF-A6x25 CPU temp is about 60° C degrees and with load around 80° C (not using the FANs at full speed because of the noise). The numbers are not ideal, but still they are way better than before. That’s why I’m planning how to fit the Noctua NH-L12S into this to get better temps without affecting the noise level.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I'm giving the M11SDV series a look. Does anyone have the active heatsink part number from Supermicro or know if the screw holes on the motherboard match up with any other types of heatsinks (e.g. Xeon-D, newer Atoms)?

Sparton

Jul 16, 2020
hi there,

I am having the same problem currently: how do i replace the fitted heatsink from the asrock EPYC3251D4I-2T...

i know its embedded, but it should go into a mini tower case and there is now adapter whatsoever to attach a fan directly to the heatsink.

heatsink measured
- overall size 70x70 mm (there are only few mm left on three of four sides, so (future) heatsink has to be exact that size)
- therein are 4 screws at the edges of a 60x60 mm rectangle

officially socket is called SP4r2, but I cannot find any specs - and since its embedded, i dont think they are posted too often.

there must be some sort of altenative active cooling heatsink, water, air whatever to put on this board, but I am searching like crazy - nothing found.

cheers
m

Last edited:

j.battermann

Aug 22, 2016
Has anyone found a good solution for this? I am also looking at either the ASRock Rack EPYC3251D4I-2T or EPYC3451D4I2-2T but obviously want to have it cooled properly. I've contacted Supermicro and asked if they (still/ever?) sell the cooler+fan combo they put on their M11SDV-8C+-LN4F motherboard, but haven't heard back, yet... and in general scratching my head.

DaveM

Jul 8, 2021
I ordered the M11SDV-8C-LN4F-O with passive cooling to use in a SM 1U chassis, however Newegg stuffed up and sent me an 8C+ with the active fan. Does anyone know if the heat sinks are the same between the two models? i.e. I can just remove the fan, or is the heat sink on the 8C a special type? I'm waiting on some 40mm SM fans to be delivered to provide the airflow over the heatsink.

Thanks.

zac1

Oct 1, 2022
Thank you for contacting Supermicro eStore Support.
SNK-C0122AP4L can be used for your motherboard.
Unfortunately we do not carry SNK-C0122AP4L on our eStore.
Please check with our resellers and distributors for availability.
Where to Buy | Supermicro
Thank you!
Haven't found a reseller who can source this yet...