Supermicro 847 WIO Motherboard Options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WeightedCube

Mar 11, 2015
So I may have impulse bought an ex CrashPlan backup appliance of some sort.
It looks to be a pretty standard Supermicro 847 Chassis with SAS2 backplanes, H8DGU-F Motherboard and a RSC-R2UU-3E8G Riser.

I'd like to replace the current Opteron 6320 and motherboard with something with a little more grunt; maybe 2011 v3 era or newer. I'm aware I could replace the rear window with a standard ATX, low profile one but ideally I'd like to keep the option of installing full height cards.

So the question is what options do I have for a WIO motherboard upgrade? Is this more trouble than it's worth? I'm guessing it's likely I'd need a new rear window to suit the newer motherboards but would I also need a new riser?

Last edited:

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Hi the best solution would be to get a New rear Window/ Panel for normal Low Profile Cards.

Otherwise you will have to change the Riser and or the Rear Panel for any bigger System Upgrade.

Part Number schould be: MCP-240-82506-0N

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
So one thing that's worth pointing out is that what you actually have is an older UIO system, not WIO. When I did some research a goooood while back I remember reading that WIO mobos cannot go into UIO chassis or they at least may not be completely compatible. So if you want a dual 2011-3 system, you may have to go with a more traditional 7xLP window or at least see if you can locate a WIO window for a test installation.

Rain

May 13, 2013
So one thing that's worth pointing out is that what you actually have is an older UIO system, not WIO. When I did some research a goooood while back I remember reading that WIO mobos cannot go into UIO chassis or they at least may not be completely compatible. So if you want a dual 2011-3 system, you may have to go with a more traditional 7xLP window or at least see if you can locate a WIO window for a test installation.
I've looked into WIO/UIO Supermicro boards in the past as well and can confirm that @frogtech is correct here. Since they are generally less desirable to the average second-hand buyer (and/or sellers don't know what they have), WIO/UIO chassis & boards are sometimes cheaper but unfortunately fall into the "know before you buy" category.

The only real option is to swap the rear window out since there are no new boards still using the UIO layout. If you plan on getting a WIO board for some reason (full-height card in 2U, for example), you'll need the WIO rear window. Otherwise, the normal 7xLP rear window will allow you to use any "normal" ATX/eATX/ect board you want.

The PCIe risers are different between WIO and UIO as well, meaning if you get a WIO board & rear window, you'll have to order a new riser as well.

WeightedCube

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for the info everyone. Good to know what options I have and parts I would need. No immediate need to upgrade so I guess I'll wait around and see if any bargains show up on eBay.