Physical Server Clustering: What Software to Use

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I have a blade chassis with 10 blades in them. We want to virtually link all the systems together over networking to create one giant "Server". As my experience has been in clustering groups of servers to virtualize and migrate, this question has got me puzzled on what software to use for the hosts.

Is this even possible? If so what software platform can we use, open source would be better but we don't mind paying for software to make this happen.

The guest will be a Windows 2012 R2 server that we expose as one giant system.

IF this goes into a different subforum please feel free to move it there. This question floats between a few options.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
There isn't such a thing and it can't exist either.
What does exist is virtualization software and you'd have a "cluster" of your 10 servers which would allow VM to move between hosts depends on hosts load. In this case, a single VM would only run at one physical server at the time.

Another option would be a distributed or parallel computing solution, but that would require custom created software to shard to smaller chunks and send them to servers to be processed/computed. These are used in scientific computing, grid computing, and more often used as a 3D render farms.

Distributed computing - Wikipedia

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I figured it was going to be distributed computing solution of some type sadly. That's going to be a nightmare to setup and configure.

I'm looking at qluster and openHPC. those are the 2 latest that may get this project working

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I think you mean qlustar, specifically HTC stack. The Qlustar HPC Stack | Qlustar
It would help to manage a compute cluster, but still not magically create a single super-powerful running server on underlying many servers.
It doesn't matter if it's qlustar or a classic Beowulf cluster. The principle stays the same, the application needs to be aware of MPI .
MPI Tutorial Introduction · MPI Tutorial
It's not impossible, but it's not some dark magic, your application needs to be made to work with such a cluster from the ground up.
MPI Hello World · MPI Tutorial

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I think you mean qlustar, specifically HTC stack. The Qlustar HPC Stack | Qlustar
It would help to manage a compute cluster, but still not magically create a single super-powerful running server on underlying many servers.
It doesn't matter if it's qlustar or a classic Beowulf cluster. The principle stays the same, the application needs to be aware of MPI .
MPI Tutorial Introduction · MPI Tutorial
It's not impossible, but it's not some dark magic, your application needs to be made to work with such a cluster from the ground up.
MPI Hello World · MPI Tutorial
No joke on it needing to be made to work with the cluster, I tried to modify some video editing software(shotcut based on MLT) to use a cluster to speed up exports, instead all I managed to do was get 6 servers to spit out the same video file(I did have better luck using MPI to control blender for distributed rendering though...)