[EBAY] Xyratex HB-1235 $60 pick up only in Tampa, FL

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
G-D. Dual PSU, Dual SAS3 IOMs and all 12 3.5 disk caddies.
This is an awesome deal. source: I have exact same shelf humming in my basement.

Reactions: Samir

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
the controllers are SAS2 6Gbps. There are compatible SAS3 controllers but they still sell for like $500-600 a piece.

Reactions: Samir

hardcore

Nov 10, 2019
Sadly it is dead HW, in that there is ZERO support & updates....
plus much of the top end functionality is license locked... via the embedded storeview.

It's like there is a massive conspiracy with Seagate/google as regards to getting info on xyratex kit....

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Sadly it is dead HW, in that there is ZERO support & updates....
plus much of the top end functionality is license locked... via the embedded storeview.

It's like there is a massive conspiracy with Seagate/google as regards to getting info on xyratex kit....
what the fudge are you on about? what license? These are disk shelves, not a full SAN/NAS.
Yes, Xyratex info is limited online, and lack of support is implied on pretty much any eBay purchase.
At this price is really hard to complain. I paid nearly $140 for it.

hardcore

Nov 10, 2019
I'm not complaining about the price.... and I am well aware of what the current market for such items is,
and if shipping would not be so much a killer, i would take 2.

I was talking about Xyratex (and OEM badged kit) kit currently floating about on the market.
Storeview /other OEM embedded functionality is LICENSED!!!! and in some case different controller code is loaded into some devices on bootup depending on the license.

What I should have said was :
plus much of the top end "xyratex/Badged kit" functionality is license locked

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
You clearly do not understand what you are talking about. Whatever software (including all its features, licensing, etc) is running on the head node is completely irrelevant. The auction is for the expansion disk shelf. It's running very basic Genesis Enclosure Management (GEM) software which has no license controlled features. It's fully functional as it is. No support or any software updates are required for normal operation.

hardcore

Nov 10, 2019
And you will be telling me next that this is a reset button....... and not a "service port" for accessing the inbuilt engineering console.

Attachments

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
There is a lot of bullshit (guesses and opinions presented as facts) but very little information in that reddit thread.

The part what I do not get is that lots of people have claimed that there is not enough information about the unit. What exactly are they missing? What else do they need to know?

How is this bullshit:

TL;DR

• 12 bay 3.5” LFF drives
  • Supports SATA 3, 6Gb/s
  • 56w with no drives
  • Loud, 60dB idle
  • Drives show amber “you ****ed up” light on them, even though in operating system drives are fine. (Read more below)
  • Expect to pay around $100

That's about right with the info and even tells you what some of the Amber light problems are.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
How is this bullshit:

TL;DR

• 12 bay 3.5” LFF drives
Yes! That's the most important piece of information that everybody was missing.
Well at least it does qualify as information. And I referred to it as such - I said "very little".

The rest of the list is just OP's estimations and interpretations (or "guesses and opinions" as I said before) specific to his unit and not indicative of a performance of another similar looking enclosure you might get.

Seagate (previously Xyratex) OneStor is a modular platform. The parameters of a specific second hand unit will vary depending on many things but mainly from which OEM storage system the unit came from originally. But even units coming from the same OEM could have slightly different configs like different fan curves for example. By the way the fans are responsible for a significant part of the total power draw of the unit and there are at least 5 different PCMs (power and cooling modules) models that I know of.

Last edited:

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
I took apart the PSUs on my 4u Xyratex and rewired quieter fans. The fan connector and orientation is not standard, so you need to lookup online which wires to connect to your fans. As a result of the slower fans, I had to add 4 PSUs (originally came with 2 and 2 blanks) so that I could properly cool my HDDs.