SuperMicro CSE-417 72 Bay 2.5" JBOD 4U Chassis w/ ZeusRAM 8GB SSD (GONE)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
SuperMicro CSE-417 72 Bay 2.5" JBOD 4U Chassis w/ ZeusRAM 8GB SSD | eBay

5 available as of this posting.

Just picked up one of these today after playing Offer Tag with the seller. They accepted $340 + $59.99 shipping. After taxes it came out to about $420.

The two SAS SSDs seem to be selling on eBay for $160+ and if you didn't want to use the CSE-PTJBOD-CB2, those go for about $60 on eBay. :)

Condition: Used, Tested Working. Includes 72x 2.5" HDD Sleds w/o screws
Model: CSE-417E26-R1400LBP

Features:
HDD Backplanes: 3x 24 Slot SATA3 Backplane SAS2-216EL2
SSD: 2x 8GB SAS SSD ZeusRAM SSD 3.5 Z4RZF3D-8UC
Control Board: CSE-PTJBOD-CB2
Power supply: 2x 1400W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply PN: PWS-1K41P-1R

am45931472

Feb 26, 2019
Whats it like performance wise using backplanes like this with SSDs. obviously most 2.5 in SSDs can saturate a single Sas2 connection. looks like this has 6 SAS connections for 24 drive slots.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I have purchased from this seller, Krusecom, before - used ssd's. I had no complaints: they were generally willing to accept reasonable offers and I beleive they've had these JBOD units sitting for a while IIRC I saw these while looking for a CSE-417 to put a motherboard in, but the price was higher then and I was not sure if all the standoffs would be in there to install a motherboard. If your intention is to install a motherboard be aware the 417 uses the 2U dual threaded nut standoffs which are hard to come by if you don't have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: ewer0012

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
oh god that would be perfect for an SSD plex server, if only 4TB SSDs weren't so damn expensive...even 2TB is nuts.

Reactions: itronin

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
What is special about ZeusRAM SSD ? High endurance? What is the use case for this server approach?

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
What is special about ZeusRAM SSD ? High endurance? What is the use case for this server approach?
ULTRA low latency. basically a ram drive ssd. These are highly recommended SLOG drives for ZFS write cache. Optane and ZeusRAM drives are two of the best SLOG drives you can use.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
In that case, you got the case almost for free since 2 SSD already worths over $300. Is this case meant to be used as an advance disk shelve? I see it has a lot SF8088 connectors.

I have 10% ebay bucks today so wondering if this is a good toy to get :)

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
In that case, you got the case almost for free since 2 SSD already worths over $300. Is this case meant to be used as an advance disk shelve? I see it has a lot SF8088 connectors.

I have 10% ebay bucks today so wondering if this is a good toy to get :)
Most supermicro cases are very flexible in layout, you could pull the jbod power board out, pop a motherboard in with like two 16 port HBAs and make a full file server. Or you could just hook this up to another server with a few external sad cables

Reactions: ewer0012 and Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Most supermicro cases are very flexible in layout, you could pull the jbod power board out, pop a motherboard in with like two 16 port HBAs and make a full file server. Or you could just hook this up to another server with a few external sad cables
Yes I really like Supermicro stuff, they are very easy to work with. I see that the listing is missing air shroud. I am also not sure if it has the motherboard tray. I assume without them, motherboard cannot be installed.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Yes I really like Supermicro stuff, they are very easy to work with. I see that the listing is missing air shroud. I am also not sure if it has the motherboard tray. I assume without them, motherboard cannot be installed.
what tray? you unscrew that JBOD power board, grab some standoffs, and screw them into the appropriate holes. That chassis I'm almost 100% certain has holes for most standard sized boards (min/micro/ATX). you just put the standoffs in the appropriate holes. I have YET to find a Supermicro chassis that hasn't been like this. There is no "tray"

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
what tray? you unscrew that JBOD power board, grab some standoffs, and screw them into the appropriate holes. That chassis I'm almost 100% certain has holes for most standard sized boards (min/micro/ATX). you just put the standoffs in the appropriate holes. I have YET to find a Supermicro chassis that hasn't been like this. There is no "tray"
Not trying to pick a fight with you @SPCRich but technically it is a tray and SM calls it a tray. You are correct that you should simply be able to remove the JBOD and Zeusram mount and be able to mount a motherboard if you have sufficient standoff nuts.

cse-417-tray.png

The motherboard compartment slides out towards the back of the chassis to give you access to the bottom tier (back and front, most (really all) cable routing is done below the motherboard area. I can confirm the SC417 has motherboard standoff positions for EATX, ATX, MATX. facing the back of the chassis, remove the PSU's first, there is a screw (note 3 in image) ~ 2/3 of the way towards the front on the left side, this screw must be removed, there is an interior pull latch (mine was blue plastic) that you pull out towards the interior of the compartment to release and at the same time pull back on the tray. The tray slides towards you on friction bearings and mine was a bit tight so it took some effort and you do not want to deform the case when pulling so be careful. This is probably very similar or the same on the SC847.

As I said before the standoff nuts may be hard to find. Perhaps OP can let us know when they receive the chassis if there were sufficient standoffs. JBOD board probably has 4 to support it. Maybe the Zeusram mount uses 4? - maybe 2? maybe more are already mounted?

standoffs that should come with the stock SC417.png
See this thread regarding the standoffs and trying to acquire them.

I refurbed some compellent SC030's and I can tell you the CPU standoffs from that did not work as motherboard standoffs in the 2U tray of my SC417.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@Bert you can see the the motherboard tray is there from the seller's pictures in the description section of the eBay listing.

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
This is what I found in the manual for the SC417 Chassis for standoffs. I'll let you know what I find with how many are included.
Capture.PNG

It looks like there are 4 screws for the drive tray to attach it to the motherboard tray.
Capture2.PNG

I confirmed with the seller that it does not come with a rail kit, but I managed to find a kit on CDW that didn't cost me my firstborn child (Strange for CDW). Supermicro rack rail kit - 4U - MCP-290-00057-0N - Rack Mounting Accessories - CDW.com

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
This is what I found in the manual for the SC417 Chassis for standoffs. I'll let you know what I find with how many are included.
View attachment 12301

It looks like there are 4 screws for the drive tray to attach it to the motherboard tray.
View attachment 12302

I confirmed with the seller that it does not come with a rail kit, but I managed to find a kit on CDW that didn't cost me my firstborn child (Strange for CDW). Supermicro rack rail kit - 4U - MCP-290-00057-0N - Rack Mounting Accessories - CDW.com
I think that picture you have is of the drives in the lower tier below the motherboard tray. The Zeusram drives appear to be mounted in the motherboard tray.

65-75 shipped seems to be the going price for the supermicro easy fit / snap fit rails on eBay. I have those and I also have a generic rail kit that came with my SC417. The generic rail kit will set you back about 40 shipped. IMO, its okay, not great. No bearings, really simple, and there's no "stops" when you pull the chassis out so you can't really work on the chassis in the rack with those rails. you need screws and possibly washers (depending on rack) to lock it all into place in the rack. You need 1 lock screw per chassis side to lock the rail onto the chassis (same screw as the SM chassis rail). But the generic rail kits are quite a bit cheaper than the supermicro ones.

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
I think you're right about the drive trays. I'll take pictures when it arrives tomorrow and post it up for people to see. I'll also see if I can pull S.M.A.R.T. from the Zeus drives and post it up, too.

The rails I found on eBay for cheap are the MCP-290-00058-0N which only extend to 27", there the MCP-290-00057-0N extend to 36.5" IIRC. The MCP-290-00057-0N that I saw on eBay when I was looking yesterday seemed to be from across the pond and were ~$250 shipped.

I decided to get the SM rails instead of some generic ones so that I don't have an accident from not having the "stops." Don't need any more broken toes from dropped servers. :D:eek:

Reactions: Bert and itronin

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Not trying to pick a fight with you @SPCRich
I know, I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you either. You can buy baggies of the standoffs on ebay, I ordered one once, dont remember where. comes with all the little fixin's the chassis normally come with. Also I wasn't aware that it was a tray, since in all the 1-4U boxes I've ordered off ebay, it's basically the sheet metal at the bottom of the case that I'm screwing onto, nothing movable.

I think that's the one redeeming factor of SMC products. I can buy an X8 based system, and drop a mini-itx ATOM board, Xeon-D board, or whatever and it just fits. As long as it's a supermicro board that is..I'm not sure a gigabyte, etc would fit, but SMC boards in SMC chassis just fit. for the 1U's with screw in IO shields they're sometimes hard to find, but snap ins usually work greatm and I only once had to use any extension cables, when I stuck a mini ITX board in my 4U file server...the PSU and fan cables were just too short (expecting a full ATX board I bet). a 6" PSU cable and some 6" fan cables and I was set. All around pretty solid multi-use chassis. I just wish they're boards were a little more reliable.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
@SPCRich
totally concur on the SM eco-system. I'm almost finished switching out and thank goodness for decommed SC030... can't beat that as a base at $50/pop local pickup even if you do swap psu, add rails and have to order cables from SM.

If you remember or find a P/N for what you ordered that had the 2U standoffs in it, I (and I think others) would appreciate the knowledge.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
@SPCRich
totally concur on the SM eco-system. I'm almost finished switching out and thank goodness for decommed SC030... can't beat that as a base at $50/pop local pickup even if you do swap psu, add rails and have to order cables from SM.

If you remember or find a P/N for what you ordered that had the 2U standoffs in it, I (and I think others) would appreciate the knowledge.
I'll see if i can find a part number, but i wasn't able to find the listing anymore on ebay. It was similar to this though: 13 pcs Supermicro Motherboard Standoff Spacer kit PRO server kit with screws OEM | eBay
except mine came with some other screws too, but this is almost what you want, the screw in bump standoffs, then you need the screws to hold the motherboard in. mine came with these, but you can either find them separate on ebay or use generic MB screws, i forget the thread pattern but any should work.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
ZuesRams are not useful to me but I am not sure if they can be sold easily. I see prices are high but not so many sales as well. It seems like NVMe's and operterons are about to make them obsolete.

ewer0012

Feb 10, 2019
ZuesRams are not useful to me but I am not sure if they can be sold easily. I see prices are high but not so many sales as well. It seems like NVMe's and operterons are about to make them obsolete.
True, I'll probably sell mine OTC just to try to recoup some of the $ I'm spending on this. Maybe I'll keep one to play with.

Unit should be here today. If I have time tonight I'll post up some pictures and info about the standoffs.

Reactions: itronin