MikroTik CRS326-24S+2Q-RM Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I bought one last week and it arrived directly from Latvia a few minutes ago! Starting a thread on these things.

Key points:
  • 24x 10GbE SFP+ Ports
  • 2x 40GbE QSFP+ Ports
  • Dual power supplies
  • Tiny CPU that I am not expecting much out of
Still, at under $486 with tax and shipping (via Mikrotik CRS326-24S+2Q+RM Cloud Router Switch, 24xSFP+pots, 2x40G QSFP+ ports, R 708747438239 | eBay) and a low power consumption figure, this is a fairly interesting switch if you wanted to have 1-2 40GbE NICs for storage and 10GbE clients.

Specs: MikroTik

Last edited:
Reactions: mmo

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Any thoughts on why they used a cpu below their 10gb switches? If they had gone with something beefier I'd be looking at these seriously as a network core option if something happens to our ciscos.

Reactions: Aestr and SRussell

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The CRS line is basically a L1/ L2 switch line. This is probably even more so. I absolutely would not run anything else on this switch, but at $486 it is hard to complain.

It is not silent by any means. I think we have been seeing sub 60W power consumption which is pretty awesome.

Reactions: Joshin

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It is not silent by any means. I think we have been seeing sub 60W power consumption which is pretty awesome.
You have a CRS317 aswell right? how does the noise it makes compare to that?
And which OS are you using? RouterOS? SwitchOS? version?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
You have a CRS317 aswell right? how does the noise it makes compare to that?
And which OS are you using? RouterOS? SwitchOS? version?
Hard to compare the noise on a CRS317, I have two and they run completely fanless thanks to those massive heatsinks on them.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
On the list for this week. I have been out for some time. Get home Monday

KnottyMan

Feb 5, 2016
@Patrick, did you ever revisit this? Thinking about ditching my ProCurve 5406 for this switch to get more SFP+, 40GB would be nice, and hopefully quieter homelab closet. Wondering what your experience with the 40mm fan is.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
This looks like it might be my "unicorn switch". 1-2 40GB, at least 10 10GB, under 100W. My only concern is does it actually hold up under load, and does it work with 1GB copper SFP modules (yes, 1GB), as ideally there are 2 copper devices I'd want to connect.

A bit pricey for what you get compared to used, but the reasonable power use (for uptime on UPS/generator) could make this my ideal "things that must stay running" switch. Ideally the 40GB ports can be LACPed together to another switch

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
This looks like it might be my "unicorn switch". 1-2 40GB, at least 10 10GB, under 100W. My only concern is does it actually hold up under load, and does it work with 1GB copper SFP modules (yes, 1GB), as ideally there are 2 copper devices I'd want to connect.

A bit pricey for what you get compared to used, but the reasonable power use (for uptime on UPS/generator) could make this my ideal "things that must stay running" switch. Ideally the 40GB ports can be LACPed together to another switch
I wouldn't buy copper modules, mikrotik has a S+RJ10 which is a nbaseT 1/2.5/5/10 gig sfp module, if you ever upgrade the clients at the other end you'd benifit from that and they're usually only ~50 dollars give or take. MikroTik

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick, did you ever revisit this? Thinking about ditching my ProCurve 5406 for this switch to get more SFP+, 40GB would be nice, and hopefully quieter homelab closet. Wondering what your experience with the 40mm fan is.
This is getting a video plus a site review. Next up is the CRS317 where the review is done, but we may not do a video for it.

These days we are working on 30+ reviews at any given time.

Still, I think that for the money I like this switch a lot.

Noise wise, not silent. Likely able to mod, but we have not tried it yet.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I wouldn't buy copper modules, mikrotik has a S+RJ10 which is a nbaseT 1/2.5/5/10 gig sfp module, if you ever upgrade the clients at the other end you'd benifit from that and they're usually only ~50 dollars give or take. MikroTik

I already have a handful of working 1G copper SFP, and the 1-2 things I'd want to connect to the switch are realistically never going to need or get 10g. I realize that there are 10G copper SFP+ modules that do 1g, but that adds 60+ per module. My usecase is that this would be my "main" switch (I'd say core, but since the l3 isn't so great that might upset some people ;) ) where everything that "needs" to stay running is connected, like raspberrypi I've got doing monitoring, and remote serial and power control for a few boxes that don't have ipmi. I actually have a low power 1g copper with some 10G SFP+ ports I could use at the same time, but that means they both "have" to stay running, plus ideally that switch is going to the media/tv room with a 10G link back to my main switch.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I already have a handful of working 1G copper SFP, and the 1-2 things I'd want to connect to the switch are realistically never going to need or get 10g. I realize that there are 10G copper SFP+ modules that do 1g, but that adds 60+ per module. My usecase is that this would be my "main" switch (I'd say core, but since the l3 isn't so great that might upset some people ;) ) where everything that "needs" to stay running is connected, like raspberrypi I've got doing monitoring, and remote serial and power control for a few boxes that don't have ipmi. I actually have a low power 1g copper with some 10G SFP+ ports I could use at the same time, but that means they both "have" to stay running, plus ideally that switch is going to the media/tv room with a 10G link back to my main switch.
The CRS326-24S+2Q-RM does support 1gig SFP modules mikrotik sells and tests their own S-RJ01(single gig) and in my experience mikrotik gear isn't picky about who's SFP's are used(I'm using a mix of ebay specials that were included with my mellanox 10gig cards, some mellanox some cisco some entirely unmarked)

Reactions: Mithril

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
The CRS326-24S+2Q-RM does support 1gig SFP modules mikrotik sells and tests their own S-RJ01(single gig) and in my experience mikrotik gear isn't picky about who's SFP's are used(I'm using a mix of ebay specials that were included with my mellanox 10gig cards, some mellanox some cisco some entirely unmarked)

Cool, thanks for the confirmation. I've had a few SFP and SFP+ modules not work with Mikrotik, but they also had issues with other equipment so they are in my hardware pile of "figure it out later", ah the joys of buying used and from PC recyclers :)

Reactions: JustinClift

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Cool, thanks for the confirmation. I've had a few SFP and SFP+ modules not work with Mikrotik, but they also had issues with other equipment so they are in my hardware pile of "figure it out later", ah the joys of buying used and from PC recyclers :)
I haven't run into that myself but i'm using mostly CRS317's with that, some devices(like the rb4011) work fine with active cables but not passive.

This is worth a look as well MikroTik SFP module compatibility table - MikroTik Wiki

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I haven't run into that myself but i'm using mostly CRS317's with that, some devices(like the rb4011) work fine with active cables but not passive.

This is worth a look as well MikroTik SFP module compatibility table - MikroTik Wiki
It's a good chance the SFP+ modules that didn't work are actually the issue, since I got them for cheap used but "as is", so who knows what damage they might have, if they are somehow non standard, counterfeit, etc. Since so much of my equipment is used, some things do end up in the pile of "should work, doesn't work, figure it out later" :D

lpsantil

Nov 11, 2019
Any chance you have an ETA on that review? The QSFP+ ports would seem to provide a nice upgrade path.

Last edited: