EU ebay: Supermicro X10SLE-F (Micro-Cloud node) usually under 10 Euro

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Aug 19, 2015
I'd love to get my hands on one or two of these. Are there any current US deals for these boards? I can see the original listing for 89 euros but doesn't ship stateside.

pif43

Jun 30, 2019
I'd love to get my hands on one or two of these. Are there any current US deals for these boards? I can see the original listing for 89 euros but doesn't ship stateside.
I could ship you my 2 boards (though one of them is already power-hacked), but I'm even more distant than Europe, so i think the shipping could be pricey.

Aug 19, 2015
I could ship you my 2 boards (though one of them is already power-hacked), but I'm even more distant than Europe, so i think the shipping could be pricey.
I appreciate the offer but yes, I imagine shipping would be prohibitively expensive. The 1-10 Euro price has had my attention since the original post!

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
I appreciate the offer but yes, I imagine shipping would be prohibitively expensive. The 1-10 Euro price has had my attention since the original post!
You can get really cheap boards from US sellers too. I picked up some Inventec S1155/S1150 ATX boards with similar specs (+SAS controller) for $25/each.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
So, my cheap purchase comes with a price.

Dirt and rust

The server went through some serious shit and it's full of dust. So, before I take it in to a datacenter, I will have to disassemble to pieces, clean it and put it back. It's like a half of day of work.

There is also rust on several screws.

WP_20191107_20_01_29_Pro.jpg

Power supplies

They are missing, but I knew that from the pictures and description. What surprised me is the price of a new one - around 200-500USD piece. However, power supplies from SC847 (1400W) work well. There is one but - they have opposite air flow, so they intake hot air from hot aisle and push it to the cold one. I don't expect this to be much problem in a cooler environment, but one of my racks is just below the high temperature limit and this could be a snag.

Backplane

Backplane is heavily damaged and actually doesn't work.

Only ports 1-3 (red) work and mother board is able to power up, power down and some motherboards leds blink in these slots. Other slots are dead. Ports 4-6 (blue) seems to be flooded or I don't know - they even miss some resistor (yellow).

Ports on the other side don't work as well, however they look in good condition.

Price of the new backplane is around 350USD.

WP_20191107_19_44_58_Pro.jpg

I don't know what the state of the motherboards is. I might test them tomorrow, but it will take quite a lot of time as I have only 1 testing CPU and 1 memory module.

So the question is - shall I try to restore that to the great condition or just throw it away?

• E3-1220v3 costs 55 USD piece = 660 USD for 12 pieces
  • 1x8GB module 35 USD piece = 420 USD for 12 pieces
  • 2 power supplies = 400 USD the lowest
  • heatsink 25 USD piece = 300 USD total
  • new backplane = approx 350 USD
  • railkit = approx 100USD
  • The chassis itself with motherboards 110 USD including the postage
It would then cost me 2 340 USD total on components to get it working without labor time.

Is it worth it?

WP_20191107_19_33_57_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
holy moly. Well, the yellow square is not a cap but a Fuse, according to the silkscreen marking F?? beside it.
So that explains the non functioning port.

We would like to know the full pinout of the connectors for the blades, but i kind of doubt that you will be able to figure that out, or are you up for the challenge?

overall, more high-res pictures of all the things on the backplane would be nice. Front and back.

And depending on your location, one of us might be able to fix the backplane for you. I'd be up for the challenge :D

nerdalertdk

Fleet Admiral
Mar 9, 2017
::1
@Yarik Dot you could try and contact ebay/seller and get some of the money back, since its was listet as working

"
Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections"

Also Pin out from that backplane would be awesome :D

Reactions: RageBone

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Yarik Dot
I don't think you will get any problems with changing the airflow direction in the psus.

The backplane on the other hand, multiple fuses are corroded away, explaining all the non working ports.
And I suspect that some of the blades look similar or even worse.
The craziest thing about it is that it had be in operation, and then get so wet / dirty / what ever happened there, so that it became like that.

I sadly can't spot any obvious traces to estimate the pinout just from the pictures.

All in all, could you send it to me, in Germany?

Reactions: JustinClift

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
These boards are used by an ISP in Düsseldorf. They bought a Gameserver provider a few years ago and my gut feeling is that these stuff are the left overs which are maybe stored in a low profile environment.
I am not sure about this. Condition of the dust/dirt hints it was running in dirty environment for some time. I am also suspicious it was flooded while running.

Never mind, let's see how this moves on. I am in touch with the seller as well as with my supermicro suppliers.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
My boards were also filthy. Definitely not the kind of grime you see during storage, these had dust/dirt blown by them while in operation.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@Yarik Dot how is it going?

We can agree on it having been running while being flooded or at least moist.

The green / white slime where the presumably 12V fuses for the blades were, is the number one indicator for corrosion, which in that form can only happen when it is powered.

TedB

Dec 2, 2016
IMO it's highly unlikely that it was flooded however my backend experience dealing with hosting companies for past few decades tells me that these servers were cooled with external air supply without any humidity control for a prolonged amount of time (few years at least).

Last edited:

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
@RageBone sorry, no update so far. I didn't have time for that.

Last update is I got an offer for 12x1270v3 @ 850€ and 12x8GB modules @250€, plus new backplane free of charge.