Backplane issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sirkyle

Oct 28, 2019
Running an unraid set and looks like I’m having some backplane issues. Here’s my build so far

supermicro 4U 24 bay chassis
SAS 846-TQ backplane
Supermicro X10SAE MOtherboard
Xeon E3-1226 v3 3.30ghz
16g DDR3 ECC
Corsair RM1000X
2 SAS2LP MV8 controllers

had 2 drives fail in the same column. Tried new breakout cables and then direct wires them to MB with no avail. Moved elsewhere in the array and worked fine. Now the drives above and below in the same column have sailed and work fine elsewhere in the array. Leading me to believe it’s a backplane issue.

eBay looks like about 150 to replace same pass through backplane. Is it worth an upgrade? What options do I have? Primary use is media server and little bit of photo/document NAS.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Check and reseat your power connections just to be safe before you write off the backplane, but your assessment seems spot on.

Is it worth the upgrade (beyond the fact you need a working one)? An 846A backplane will give you the max potential performance, just like your TQ but with better cable management. For your workloads an expander backplane will still deliver more performance than you're likely to need or notice and cut down even further on cabling. Just make sure if you go the expander route you get SAS2 at minimum.

Sirkyle

Oct 28, 2019
Ok. Only mildly confused. I have 2 sas2-LP MV8 cards. So that handles 16 drives. The other 8 are direct sata cables to the MB. So if I get an expander backplane do I need another MV8 card or just run the breakout cable backwards? And then it seems confusing SAS-846A and SAS2-846el1 as expander cards. Everything seems to be same price used. 129-150$ or am I reading it all wrong

Sirkyle

Oct 28, 2019
I will check power tho. Still have 2 working drives in the top 2 bays on that connection. But never know

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Ok. Only mildly confused. I have 2 sas2-LP MV8 cards. So that handles 16 drives. The other 8 are direct sata cables to the MB. So if I get an expander backplane do I need another MV8 card or just run the breakout cable backwards? And then it seems confusing SAS-846A and SAS2-846el1 as expander cards. Everything seems to be same price used. 129-150$ or am I reading it all wrong
you would have to get a specific reverse breakout cable.

personally, I prefer the TQ backplanes. It’s all I use.