ICX6610-24, 2x Fans/PSUs, 4-post rack kit, $200 + ship

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Brocade ICX6610-24-I, 24-Port 1GbE RJ45 Switch with 8× 1GbE SFP 729198002497 | eBay

Just ordered one of these, so if anyone wants to know how it turns up I'll post a follow-up once I get home and can inspect it (on a work trip right now). This is an ICX6610-24-I (reversed airflow, so back-to-front/PSU intake), non-PoE, with 2x power supplies, 2x fans, and the 4-post rack mount kit.

They've had them up for months, and I stumbled across them long after they were listed and hadn't been seeing them in search. It's also not the cheapest price, BUT, the fact that it includes the 4-post rack kit and secondary PSUs/Fans is worth well more than $50 on its own.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Eru0194

Jun 13, 2019
Just a heads up, I messaged this seller about the 4-post rack kit because their pictures don't show all of the parts.

Maybe you can make it work, but I don't think these include the bracket extensions. It's a good deal regardless, but worth noting imo.

Also, I asked them what revision the PSUs are. They sent me pictures of some REV. C PSUs. I doubt all units have REV. C but if you're buying one switch you could probably specifically request them. REV. A are the louder ones as far as I know.

Eru0194

Jun 13, 2019
I’ve got 2 x brand new 4 post kits, I can open one and get pics if that helps?
Your kits should include all of the parts shown in my second picture. What I'm saying is that this eBay auction doesn't include either pair of bracket extensions (#3 and #4 in the picture). Or at least that's what the seller told me.

The bracket extensions are what secures the switch to the back of the rack (or the front of the rack in this case, because these are back-to-front airflow models).

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Thanks for the additional information Eru! I'm honestly okay with it - from the look of it I could easily rig something up using the backside of Navepoint half-depth rail shelves - and even without that the kit should be strong enough to support from the front.

I'm less worried about the power supplies, as they're going to be in a server closet that's going to have soundproofing between the living areas and it. Also in a basement so until that living area is created it won't bother anyone.

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
Correct, the shown brackets are included, as are all the required screws and cage nuts...etc

My offer was more so if someone wanted pictures/measurements of the rear brackets to assist them with making their own.

The spacing between my racks front and rear rails are 750mm from memory, and the long extension doesn’t fit... you’d need 800mm spacing before using those ones. (ie, 780mm spacing and under would likely use short, over 780mm should be fine with long)

Thanks

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
US $199.69
why does anyone get excited about these since they are 1gbs? seems expensive

Eru0194

Jun 13, 2019
US $199.69
why does anyone get excited about these since they are 1gbs? seems expensive
It's an L3 switch with 16x 10gbE ports and 2x 40gbE ports on top of the gigabit RJ45 ports. The '24P' and '48P' models support PoE+. Also runs fairly quiet and has a simple CLI.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
It's an L3 switch with 16x 10gbE ports and 2x 40gbE ports on top of the gigabit RJ45 ports. The '24P' and '48P' models support PoE+. Also runs fairly quiet and has a simple CLI.
that would make it exciting! nowhere on that ad does it say 10gbe let alone 40gbe. it just says "1GbE RJ45 Switch with 8× 1GbE"

haha!

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
that would make it exciting! nowhere on that ad does it say 10gbe let alone 40gbe. it just says "1GbE RJ45 Switch with 8× 1GbE"

haha!
These are absolutely great devices and this is a good price.
You should know that 10g and 40g require licenses, but since these are EOL, there is an amazing user here who donates his leftover licenses for free. Go to the main thread on these in the networking forum for more.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
what sort of scam are these companies running that require licenses for ports? is it to kill the second hand market?

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Note, this is NOT a low power-draw switch - by reports it idles at around 80w for the 24-port. If power is a major concern and you don't have other reasons to do so (for example, need 40GbE, or more than 8x 10GbE), you probably should consider the ICX7250s, as they are honor/trust based licensing, lower power, and have 8x 10GbE ports.

The licensing thing is to convince you they're selling them cheaper, then let you upgrade them later if needed. They really don't sell them much cheaper, but Cisco is trying to leverage everything they can out of their dwindling market share, and most of the not-so-good companies are following suit. Brocade was one of them, but fortunately it appears Ruckus is not as much, and with their latest switches (like the ICX7250), it's just one simple command to enable each feature.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
nowhere on that ad does it say 10gbe let alone 40gbe
The hardware is there. But the ports are not enabled out of the box (the licenses are not included) so the seller decided not to advertise the features which are not included. I'd say poor decision on their part.

what sort of scam are these companies running that require licenses for ports?
This is not a scam since it is clearly advertised before the sale.
Also it is Economics 101 for you - it's called Market segmentation. This is what companies do in order to extract the maximum profit from all segments of the market. Then it's just cheaper for them to design and produce a single SKU and use licensing to limit features than produce multiple SKUs.

Last edited:

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
i am being argumentative here, but 10GBE has been around for 15 years. shouldnt all 10gbe be cheap as chips now? look at the price of a 15 year old cpu or any other technology....

100gbe cards (mellanox, solarflare, and so on) are cheap as chips. 100gbe switches should also be cheap as chips now as well. yet 10gbe still costs an arm and a leg. these companies MUST be artificially inflating the market. lawsuit?

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
Market segmentation is critical for them to make money. There are plenty of use cases where you only need or can afford less than the full port count, and they can't ignore them. This way, these same switches can be used by a small office (using just 1g), a small college campus (using 1g for users and a couple of 10g ports for uplinks), or as a small datacenter switch (mostly 10g and 40g). Each group will pay differently, but brocade only needs to build and ship a single SKU.
The segmentation makes sense, but I think it's actually more interesting - why does segmentation not require additional hardware anymore?
In the recent generations, the architecture is heavily reliant on a single hero ASIC to do all the switching and routing. The concept of line cards / modules doesn't make sense anymore, so instead of selling the added ports with just passive / dummy hardware to install - it is cheaper to sell you the fully capable hardware and pay for software licenses.
In the following generations for Brocade, they did make licenses honesty based, which makes even more sense...

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
i am being argumentative here, but 10GBE has been around for 15 years
the switch in this thread will be nearly 10 years old soon (which is why I can give out licenses for it), it made sense when it came out, as all the other major competitors were also running port based licensing, it's how the market was operating at the time. Brocade's (well, now Ruckus) current switching models did away with most of the licensing and they're all "honor" based now (can be fully unlocked by running a simple, documented command)

Also, "xxx has been out for xx years!" is sadly a very poor argument when it comes to this industry. IPv6 is old enough to legally drink in the US, but go look up adoption rates

Reactions: int0x2e

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Switch arrived REALLY fast (I had to wait three days just to get home to it) and was extremely well-packed. On inspection, here's what I have.

1. As advertised, 2x power supplies and 2x fans. One of the two PSUs was Rev C, the other was Rev A. Running a single PSU, it's not quiet, but it's all air movement.

2. As others mentioned, it's got the rack ears from the 4-post kit, but not the rear mounting portion. I'm going to go with it and not worry about it unless I start seeing a sag; at that point I'll either figure something out or rig up part of a Navepoint rail shelf to hold the back end up.

3. Switch was wiped, VERY clean, and overall I'm extremely happy with it and the seller. Already got everything unlocked and ready to go, just need to get it configured. Oh, and test 10g ports are linking correctly, get some breakout cables, get some Brocade SFP+ optics...

Eru0194

Jun 13, 2019

This doesn't affect you if you're only using one PSU but maybe it will help someone else.

Of course you should use the REV. C if you are only using one. I just got my 6610 a few days ago and with two REV. B PSUs I can't believe how quiet it is. A lot of people have mentioned the noise so I was a bit concerned.

Reactions: fohdeesha

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Good to know at least, and that's what I'm doing right now. Was going to try running both today so glad to know it's going to suck. :)

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
All racked and has base configuration, though I'm going to require some serious downtime to reconfigure my 6450 into a mixed stack. Interestingly, it's not significantly louder with both PSUs running, though unplugging one (as expected) really makes the remaining PSU scream as long as the PSU is installed. However, in that brief moment beforehand, it gets a lot quieter, and I think I unplugged the Rev C, so I'm going to play with it a bit. Maybe I've got a loud Rev C.