EU HP MSA70 24,99€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
For the lazy ppl the answer is:

• 3G SAS host connectivity
  • Supports HP DP SAS 3G disk drives, (36 GB, 72 GB, 146 GB & 300 GB capacities)
  • Supports HP SATA 1.5G and 3G disk drives, (60 GB 1.5G , 120 GB & 250 GB capacities)

And since this is HP i wouldn't assume those can be upgraded to 6G;)

With the NetApps available at €89 (6G) I am not sure it makes sense to limit oneself here unless you really do have a lot of very old drives and want to run them for as cheap as possible

Reactions: int0x2e

krista

Dec 22, 2015
good price, but without the sleds/trays and limited to sata v2 and sas v1 (3gbps) and 2.5” drives, you would have to get a fantastic deal on the sleds/trays to stick the drives in, and an spanking phenomenal deal on 400-1.2GB ssds to put in, as spinners won't be worth the effort, noise, or power consumption.

heck, i'm not sure 400GB ssds would be worth it, unless you are getting them for under $20 each and they're sas.

oh, Rand_, you probably well know already better than I, and as I'm not sure which NetApp ssds you are referring to, but be careful with those (and EMC) as some of them have funky firmware and are vendor locked.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
oh, Rand_, you probably well know already better than I, and as I'm not sure which NetApp ssds you are referring to, but be careful with those (and EMC) as some of them have funky firmware and are vendor locked.
Actually I don't, never got the NetApps 'cause since they've come down in price I've only been looking at 12G stuff and never found cheap enough IO Units, so good that you mention it:)

krista

Dec 22, 2015
:) i ended up going 12g myself after watching a friend **** with a pile of netapp and emc stuff for far too long.

well, 12g for the ssds, and a bunch of hgst 7k6000 for bulk.

i'm rambling tonight, but the single best storage purchase i've ever made was the hp lto-6 tape drive. around 2 months back, i had a couple people over for some casual gaming, and one of them had some version of phoebos ransomware, and that managed to nail most of my network through a rdp vulnerability that wasn't patched by ms until after the piece of shit exploited it.

i emailed the ransom address out of curiosity, and the jerk wanted $5000. i sent him a picture of a stack of tapes and my middle finger.

after wiping everything and restoring from tape, i lost 3 days of labor and almost 20 hours of data.

i hear a lot of others aren't so lucky.

offline backups are important, folks, especially with the nasty crap going around. if you want nightmares, take a look at how phoebos and adame hop from computer to computer, and where they scrape your passwords from.

also pretty interesting is that they open and rename as many files as they can simultaneously, and encrypt the first 2mb and some parts of the tail. they don't touch any system files, so nothing starts randomly crashing... you just get some odd cpu and disc (and network) spikes if you happen to be watching.

Last edited:

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Thanks for sharing bought one,
This enclosure it is driven by HBA so should work with sas and sata disks?
Cheers

krista

Dec 22, 2015
linuxmanbg: i don't have one, but i'd say it should... assuming they're 2.5” drives that are backwards compatible to 3gbps or straight up 3gbps, and you can find a sled/tray for each drive, as this doesn't look trayless, especially without having front doors built in.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Question probably is - are those standard HP trays or anything special...

krista

Dec 22, 2015
i honestly don't know for that model, but from me experience, trays are usually made specifically to a model line, and usually won't work with a different one.

for example, that's a storageworks ma70. if you look in the manual, there's a couple of different editions that have a different number of drives. i'd bet they all take the same trays, but an hp hp storageworks from a couple years newer will take different and incompatible trays.

i think one of the reasons this one is so inexpensive, and the one with all the trays is 300 money units (i glanced at it as a recommendation on ebay when looking at op's link) is that finding the trays is a pain in the ass.

as i haven't looked for trays for this model, nor used this model in specific, i i could be wrong... but i don't think i am.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
NetApp DS2246 is my go to SAS2 24x2.5" in 2U enclosure. I bought them for as low as $80 shipped with all trays included.