68 EMC KTN-STL3 enclosures (pickup in Albany, NY)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
EMC2 KTN STL3 EMPTY RACKS | eBay starting bid $10, ends in 6 days.
The lot is listed as "For parts or not working". My understanding is that it just means "no returns" but the enclosures are functional. The pictures are low quality but it looks like power supplies, midplanes and line cards are included.

I would estimate the resale value at $50 per unit. Conservatively, $40 + shipping.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Auctions by definition cannot be a deal barring listing errors.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Auctions may often end up not being "deals". And usually I would not bother posting auctions. But my educated guess is that this one will sell well below market value.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
and there is this lot:
(18) Sun Microsystems Sunfire V240
(1) Sun Microsystems Sunfire V120
(8) Hewlett Packard DL385 G7 Servers
(11) Sun Microsystems Sunfire T2000
(8) Sun Microsystems Sunfire x4200
(1) Sun Oracle SPARC Enterprise T5120
(1) Sun Oracle SPARC T5120
(5) HP DL380 G6 Servers
(7) HP DL360 Servers
(2) HP DL360 G5 Servers
(2) HP DL360 G6 Servers
(1) Cisco 1113
Currently at a bit $100 for the lot
NETWORKING EQUIPMENT | eBay

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I have seen those but found them less appealing. Storage systems seem to retain value better than compute nodes. Those almost 10 year old SAS2 storage enclosures in my original post still have some life left in them. As for the same age servers, they barely have any use.
Yet the server lot is going to sell for higher amount in the end. Go figure.

Reactions: Samir

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I have seen those but found them less appealing. Storage systems seem to retain value better than compute nodes. Those almost 10 year old SAS2 storage enclosures in my original post still have some life left in them. As for the same age servers, they barely have any use.
Yet the server lot is going to sell for higher amount in the end. Go figure.
Several reasons why servers go for more than the price of disk shelves (or even head units):

a) Some are no longer supported by their manufacturers or require a maintenance contract for access (so no firmware updates unless you have a support contract at work that you can lean on, even for "final firmware release")
b) The shelves might have some nasty vendor lock-in (firmware checks, proprietary cables, who knows) that's not apparent until you try to connect them to another system.
c) The equipment might require 208v 3-phase (which is not available in most homes...not to say you cannot spend the money to put one in your garage for a plug-in EV, but unless you own a private house, that's not likely)
d) The price of the caddies to put on the disks might exceed the value of the shelves themselves

And to be specific about that particular auction, it's a mass disposal from a state of New York governmental complex, and you are REQUIRED to take all 68 shelves in a single lot AND figure out shipping yourself - the value on that bid is really just a peppercorn (symbolic amount to get it legally off the books), and I don't see the prices going up too much. The challenge is to figure out 67 other people who might want a disk shelf and arrange shipping/pickup on those units.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I am not trying to convince anyone. I just posted for the sake of people who live nearby and understand the value. All I know is that I would have been renting a U-Haul truck and a storage unit if that warehouse was within 50 miles from where I live.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Less than 24 hours left and still no bids.

Several reasons why servers go for more than the price of disk shelves (or even head units)
The only point I can agree with is that the set of trays will cost a little more than the enclosure itself. The rest is just utter bullshit (i.e. either not factually correct or irrelevant). Usually your posts are more thoughtful than this.

But even with trays being more expensive the total price of the unit is around $130 shipped. Which makes it one of the least expensive enclosures on the market. On top of that it is only 14" deep. There is someone new asking for a short storage enclosure recommendations every few weeks.

Even the guys mulling over a DIY storage chassis designs here on the forums would be better off just designing a case around 2 of these shelves (essentially using them as high quality hot-swappable drive cages).