Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I followed your update guides updating firmware and PoE. What commands do I execute to empty config? How do I do a factory reset? I browsed through the manuals and can't find this information.

edit: Went through your "Setting up Brocade ICX6450" guide again and see "factory set-default" instructions. I did it once more for good measure.

For enabling PoE, I followed Ruckus Enabling and disabling Power over Ethernet instructions:
Code:
configure terminal
interface ethernet 1/1/1 to 1/1/48
inline power
ok yeah as infomatt said if you're enabling it on every port and it defaults to allocating a full 30w, it's gunna complain, but will work fine

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
What I want actually is to enable PoE on all ports and have it auto detect PoE. Is there a command for this?

Todd F

Sep 25, 2019
Can anyone confirm whether these need the RPM type output, or the RD output (rotation detection)?
You need the RPM signal.

fohdeesha's reply that the 7250 will boot without RPM signals doesn't seem to work on mine. IIRC, I'm on 0.8.0.60 so maybe if I was on 80 that would be the case. On mine, it boots all the way through then issues a warning and reboots the switch.

groove

Sep 21, 2011
Anyone need licenses I only have 1.9660494e+39 left
Hi fohdeesha,

Thanks for all your hard work - my switch recently died - took the opportunity to join the bandwagon and have an ICX6610 on its way now.

Vendor does not know the password of the switch or what licenses are installed - will have to do a factory reset. So I will be needing a license soon : -).

Reactions: fohdeesha

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
I would not recommend the Noctua's... I made the mistake of buying Noctua's 40mm's and that turned out to be a bad idea. They just don't produce enough cfm to be able to cool anything. They are great fans but probably the wrong use case.
Im monitoring all my stuff, including temperatures
sw1_temps.png
So with the Noctua's installed, and a couple of PoE devices (1x UAP AC-HD, 2x Axis PoE Cameras, one PoE-powered BananaPi and a Snom ip phone), the temperatures are fine.
I agree with you in terms of full PoE load, then you absolutely need the stock fans, but with low load or on non-PoE models, the Noctua's keep the 6450 cool enough (and its dead silent).

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Well... now that I've got some travel money under my belt, just ordered an ICX6610-24-I for $200 + ship. Sadly, I'm sitting in Philly for the rest of the week, and it will be at the house on Thursday. So I'll have two days more to wait.

If anyone wants to jump on the ICX train, I'm going to post this guy in the deals section. I've no idea WHY they haven't, but they've had these up for months, sold three of them (to two buyers), and we're talking dual fans, dual PSUs, and 4-post rack-mount kits. I'd have posted it sooner, but I was waiting until I could order mine. :)

Fohdeesha, I'll be tossing you a PM once I get home and can verify the thing's working properly.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The ICX7450 has arrived and I'm assuming you can use the instructions for the ICX7250.
Yes you'll just need to sign up for a ruckus account and download the latest firmware, I would stick with the v8080 train. The license commands will be different as well, just use tab complete to see what licenses you can install with the install license commands

Ruckus ICX FastIron 08.0.80e (GA) Software Release (.zip) | Software Downloads | Ruckus Wireless Support

Docs:
FastIron 08.0.80 (GA) Software Documentation (.zip) | Technical Documents | Ruckus Wireless Support

bkvamme

Sep 23, 2018
Also wow, I just realized we passed the year anniversary of this thread a couple months ago. Certainly doesn't feel that long! Wish I had a proper count of how many people have bought switches because of it, I know just the people getting licenses alone are in the hundreds now
I am definitely one of those guys.

Got the 6450-24 due to the overwhelmingly positive comments in this thread, and later upgraded to the 6610-48P again due to this thread.

sean

Sep 26, 2013
CT
Also wow, I just realized we passed the year anniversary of this thread a couple months ago. Certainly doesn't feel that long! Wish I had a proper count of how many people have bought switches because of it, I know just the people getting licenses alone are in the hundreds now
Second longest thread by replies on the site. Another 415 or so replies to take over the E5-2670 thread.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
This is killing me. I may literally die of impatience right now; my ICX6610 arrived early this afternoon, and I'm stuck in Philadelphia until Saturday, when I have to drive 8 hours home. Oh, and my mother expects me to stop on the way back.

Think I need to take Monday off.

Eru0194

Jun 13, 2019
I want to run breakout cables from a 6610's QSFP breakout ports directly to LC keystones like this in a patch panel.

I want to be able to connect typical LC-LC cables from these keystone jacks directly to network cards. Will that work if I use a Type B breakout cable? I was looking at this.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
Assuming you have the correct MPO optic for it, yes, that shouldn't be an issue. In fact, pretty sure that's what they're designed for.

As for the patch panel portion, those are just basically mountable couplers and won't cause problems unless you're very close to the maximum distance. Since that's 500m on OM3, I'm guessing you're not going to push that in any sort of lab environment. If for some reason you are, switching to single-mode would resolve it but the optics will be pricier.

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Im not getting any IPv4 traffic captured by my 6450 using sFlow, i only see IPv6 traffic...any ideas ?
Have been using ElastiFlow for collecting sFlow.
Code:
SSH@sw1(config)#sh sflow
sFlow version: 5
sFlow services are enabled.
sFlow agent IPv6 address: fc00::1337:2
sFlow source IP address: 10.10.100.2
sFlow source IPv6 address: fc00::1337:2
2 collector destinations configured:
Collector IP 10.10.100.25, UDP 6343, Configured VRF: None, Using VRF: default-vrf
Collector IPv6 fc00::1337:25, UDP 56343, Configured VRF: None, Using VRF: default-vrf
UDP source port: 8888 (Default)
Polling interval is 4294967295 seconds.
Configured default sampling rate: 1 per 32 packets.
Actual default sampling rate: 1 per 32 packets.
The maximum sFlow sample size: 128.
Sample mode: Non-dropped packets
sFlow exporting cpu-traffic is disabled.
627220 UDP packets exported
595014 sFlow flow samples collected.
sFlow ports: ethe 1/1/1 to 1/1/2 ethe 1/2/1
Module Sampling Rates
---------------------
U1:M1 configured rate=32, actual rate=32
U1:M2 configured rate=32, actual rate=32
Port Sampling Rates
-------------------
Port=1/1/1, configured rate=32, actual rate=32
Port=1/1/2, configured rate=32, actual rate=32
Port=1/2/1, configured rate=32, actual rate=32

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
1 in 32 packets is an insane sampling rate, I've never seen more than 1 in 512 in production (and more commonly 1024 or 2048) - the sflow section of the manual has details, but there is a limit per second of how many sflow packets the cpu will send to a collector, I'm guessing with a requested sample rate of 1 in 32 it's dropping a ton. On top of that your polling period looks insanely long for some reason

Sflow was meant as a really lightweight sampling protocol, if you want something as heavy as 1 in 32 packets you'd probably be better off with port mirrors

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
The high sampling rate is just for testing purposes :), the traffic to and from the connected server is about ~100 pps.
In a production environment, i would set it to 256 or 512. The high polling period is because i was looking at the sflow traffic using wireshark as well, and the packets containing interface statistics were quite annoying to filter.
The cpu usage of the switch is below 5 %, while snmp is using 66 % of the cycles, so im outlining heavy cpu usage as the cause of my problem.

zanechua

May 6, 2016
Just got my ICX7150's. From what I remember somewhere I read in this thread, you no longer need to get licenses right? Because they are basically perpetual. Mine did ask me for a 45-day evaluation though. Is that normal?