Upgrade from E5 v2: Ryzen, Epyc or Scalable?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ben3892

Oct 14, 2019
Hi there,

I currently have a X9SRA with a E5-2630v2 with 128GB of RAM. The motherboard is crapping out, it will work well some days, then at some point will reboot all the time... Ordered another used on ebay, it came with bent pins...

So now I am looking to upgrade mobo+cpu+ram. I plan to keep my current PSU+Case (ATX only!) Power consumption is a secondary thought, but it must be silent!

My use case: simple hypervisor host (ESXI) with 3 "prod' VMs (one Linux for docker with unifi, logs, ect, one OpenBSD, one Windows for Web/Admin), and then rooms for another 4-5 VMs depending on which tech I am playing with :)

I'll be fine with 64GB of RAM honestly. Don't need too much storage since everything is stored on a synology. But the more PCIe the better for expansion, the better. For the CPU like 12 cores/24 threads should be enough, my E5-2630v2 could struggle a bit when I was going hard on it. A stronger 8c/16t should be fine too.

I was looking at upgrading to 2011-3, but the used motherboards on ebay are very expensive IMO, a brand new one for xeon scalable or epyc doesn't cost a lot more.

I was also looking at Ryzen, but there is not a lot of PCIe lanes. There is also threadripper, but it seems that current motherboards will not be compatible with the 3rd gen, so I am a bit hesitant.

Epyc seems awesome, but I don’t want to buy a motherboard that could be incompatible with Rome, even if I would probably starts with a used Naple from ebay.

Xeon Scalable seems to be less performant than Epyc (not sure I will be able to see the difference with my use case TBH). There is more used CPUs on ebay, and lots of ES. Never had an ES before, I am a bit hesitant, but the price is attractive.

Basically:
  • Ryzen: cheap, but no rdimm support, PCIe lanes limited (GPU+10GB+1 nvme, that’s pretty much it)
  • Epyc: more expensive, must scout for a Rome compatible mobo
  • Xeon Scalable: potentially less expensive than Epyc, could start with an inexpensive ES from ebay
I am OK buying used CPUs on ebay, but I think I would prefer a brand-new motherboard this time. I can live without IPMI.

Budget: $700-$1000

Thoughts?

ben3892

Oct 14, 2019
Not out yet, and I don't know when they will be really available (look at availability of the R9 3900X for example). Same for motherboards.

If I knew that the current X399 would be compatible, I'll probably take a 1920X right now and upgrade later on if I feel the need.

Waiting would be the best option of course. But this X9SRA is giving me headaches :)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I just upgraded my dual Xeon E5 v3 setup to an EPYC 7302p myself. There are a bunch of Supermicro motherboards that have a revision 2 that are compatible with Rome if you don't need PCIe 3.0 (which I don't right now).

ben3892

Oct 14, 2019
Yes I saw that in your thread, you bought it at Superbiiz, correct?

I sent them an email last week, no response. Same with provantage. Newegg had the combo H11SSL+7302p, but that was a bit over my budget (and not in stock anymore anyway)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yes I had Superbiiz confirm what revision they had. And yes they didnt respond to my email either so I just called. I bough the 7302p from ShopBLT though.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
We have a review of the 7232P up. I think the 7262 is a better part but would go for the 7302P or 7402P if that is possible.

Also, buying parts and putting them in a tower is going to carry a price premium.

ben3892

Oct 14, 2019
We have a review of the 7232P up. I think the 7262 is a better part but would go for the 7302P or 7402P if that is possible.

Also, buying parts and putting them in a tower is going to carry a price premium.
It's not a typo. 8c/16t 2.8 base/3.2 boost 120w.
I am a bit lost with all these SKUs :) The 7302p is really tempting, but I don't think I can justify it. If I go epyc, I thought I would buy a used 7351p and then upgrade to Rome if I felt the need (or the itch). Is it a bad idea?