HP Z820 v1 (boot block 2011) - which LRDDR3 32GB modules?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TRACKER

Jan 14, 2019
Hi guys,

i am going to buy Z820 v1 (boot block 2011) and i would like to upgrade RAM to 256GB (or maybe even 512GB), but i am not sure which LRDDR3 modules will work with the workstation.
Can someone of you who has experience (modules which have been tested and work fine) provide me part numbers (e.g. samsung or micron dimms), so i can then search where to buy them from?

Perhaps one more question - is there (easy) way how to update boot block to 2013 :)

Many thanks!

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I don't know about the LR-DIMM question... but I would think anything that works with the CPU should work? Meaning, look at the CPU specs...

From what I researched, boot block update requires reprogramming one of the chips on the motherboard externally. I've heard of people de-soldering the chip and reprogramming it and then re-soldering the chip back on. But, I suspect it would be easier to use one of those "clamps"... there was a forum I use to visit that discussed this topic in depth. I'll see if I can find it and give you the link, or if you've already seen it let me know.