Supermicro x9scm-f from Ebay won't post if PXE selected and LAN2 ROM enabled

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Scro

Oct 2, 2019
I bought a Supermicro x9scm-f from Ebay and immediately updated the BIOS to v. 2.3

I was going through the BIOS settings and prepping it for UnRAID usage by turning on virtualization related settings. Also enabled the 2nd LAN slot that looked to be disabled by default. Board would no longer post. I have to reset CMOS to get back to the BIOS at that point.

Through process of elimination I was able to deduce that if I changed "OnBoard Lan Option Rom Select" from PXE to iSCSI and just disabled both "Load Onboard LAN 1 and 2 Option ROMs" that I could now boot again.

Seeing as I have no need to boot from a network I don't find this any kind of significant loss for me. But I would like to confirm that this is either some setting I've overlooked (though my other x9scm-f board never had this issue) or if it is a defective board and if it is important enough to contact the seller and look for a replacement or some sort of minor refund.

Thanks

Scro

Oct 2, 2019
TL;DR - LAN2 is probably faulty according to SM but if I don't need to use it anyway and I don't need to use the PXE feature then in the end it really doesn't affect me. Provided I leave LAN2 disabled in the BIOS the mobo boots fine.

Supermicro tells me they suspect the LAN2 is faulty. But since it's out of warranty I'd have to send it in at cost to me and have it repaied at cost to me as well for something that I really don't need. So I'll use the other LAN port only. I can still use the IPMI port. and Ive just left the ROM disabled since I won't be booting from network anyways.