Switch suggestion for my hot garage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
I need a switch that has at least 1 10G SFP+ port, and at least 6 PoE+ ports, and at least 4 regular ports. More ports are just bonus. Must be managed

Low power is key here, and it will live in my HOT garage.

Thoughts? the PoE+ requirements seems to be limiting me here

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
How hot? (at least the state you're in would help) ~ Most switchs only operate at ambient of 100F or lower, some of the industrial enterprise ones can go to the 140s.
Why do you need a single 10G SFP+ port? would a 1G SFP work too?
All of those things and robust enough to handle a high temp environment in a managed switch likely wont be cheap.
You might be able to get a solid used cisco switch and a 10G SFP+ 2 port adapter though.

Edit: Off hand with no other info, the Cisco WS-C2960X-24PD-L would be my recommendation, it can be had for about $450 on ebay operating temperature up to 113F.
It has 24 POE+ ports (370w), and two SFP+ ports, it won't be quiet and expect it to use about 45 watts of power (not including your poe device draw) on average depending on the traffic load.

Last edited:

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
$450 used is a significant sum, there are cheaper devices that fit your spec.

there seems to be nothing under $450 with sfp+ and 6-poe from mikrotik.

if you want poe, 10gb UL, poe, how about used 3750-e? (you'll need X2-10GB-SR for uplinks)
WS-C3750E-24PD | eBay

Not exactly most power-efficient, but i cannot find a specific numbers for idle load.

Last edited:

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
The garage is in Texas, so the garage will get 110-120 maybe even 130. I am thinking of adding some more ventilation

I actually ended up just getting a WS-C2960S-48LPD-L which does PoE+ and has dual SFP+ ports

Did I goof? I'm now wondering if I could have done better. I needed to get it ordered, so I just hit the trigger. It was $150 shipped and comes with ears

Thoughts?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
$150 for a 48p poe+ is fairly reasonable, summers will be rough on it and you may see issues no matter what you get.
The enterprise stuff is about as good as you can get without going for specialized industrial.

You might consider doing a small fan duct to blow some cool air from the house to the rack (if you have a rack enclosure with dedicated input/output that’d be even better)
Where in texas ya at? (ATX here :) )

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I’d suggest mounting it at waist height or lower in the garage. You may be surprised, but there can be upwards of a 20-30 F temperature difference between the bottom shelf by the floor and top shelf near the ceiling in a garage.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
Sadly I can't get air from the house, this is a deteached garage. The only thing that attaches it to the house is an open breezeway. The breezeway has some room inside the top of the structure I have been running cable through

Now it will have the line for my AT&T Fiber (Which comes in from the pole on the back of my garage, and runs through into my server closet/room) and I just purchased a 100ft OM3 LC-LC cable, so I can link this switch back to my main one

Yeah I am going to get a closed rack on the floor and stuck a fan in the top. A while ago I had my lab in an un-ventilated closet and I decided to move everything to the top shelf, bad idea!

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I have the switch which has 8x 1g PoE ports, 4x 10G SFP+ ports can work up to 70c or 158F heat. It's also managed with layer 3 switching and routing as well.
It's ATOP EHG7612-8PoE-410GSFP.
The only catch is you aren't gonna like is the price.

If you like to use regular commercial/datacenter switches you'll very likely have to do something about managing the heat to more reasonable levels.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
ATT fiber isnt 10g is it (assuming its their gigapower service) Pretty sure thats 1g so frankly you could do with regular SFP, and lose almost no speed.

VirtualBacon

Aug 21, 2017
AT&T Fiber is 1G, but that is going directly back to my server room anyway. The OM3 is running next to it

Going with 1G leaves in in a pickle because I can easily saturate a 1G link just over wireless with 2 clients, so then that fiber run is saturated and not even taking into account 3 IP cams on the garage and some flight tracking stuff and whatever else I will add in the future. Its unlikely that the AP on the garage will get that much traffic, but it could

The fiber and transceiver cost is identical with 1G, so even if I spent $100 extra on the switch for 10G, thats a good deal

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I have a Juniper EX2300-C running in my garage all summer and it performed just fine at some crazy temps.
It's fanless and has 12 x 1000BASE-T PoE/PoE+ access ports and two SFP+ 10GbE uplink ports.

I don't know what they go for used, or if you can order them through your work, but mine has been great so far :D

image.png