Accelerate Graphics Performance on VM’s and Remote MachinesI’m

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Drooh

May 4, 2019
Two-fold use case here.

I’m regularly working cross-platform and utilize many VM’s and bare metal servers/workstations. Sometimes accessing them from remote locations, sometimes while on-site. Most of the VM’s are KVM platform, with a GPU passed-through. The bare metal machines, of course have dedicated GPU’s too. For the most part, the virtual desktop experience is ok for general work, not great for much else. In some cases, like on macOS vm’s (Running on apple hardware) and bare metal remote connections are very unusable for any visual work, visual design or video editing.

Second use-case, is I am starting to work on designing a product where I need superb desktop experience remotely.

I haven’t tested much yet as far as different platforms, Remote Desktop software, settings, etc.

I have though tested various DaaS providers utilizing nvidia grid, and some which I have a dedicated GPU. On both accounts I have excellent virtual desktop experience. I’m trying to figure out how to replicate this.

I’ve been researching and can’t find the answers or resources yet. I’m researching a lot right now, maybe I just need to keep looking, and devote a day to it alone. But I’d love to be introduced to some knowledge or resources where I can find the knowledge I’m looking for.

I use teamviewer exclusively to access my remote machines. I use it for ease of managing the many machines I have, the features are great other than the graphics acceleration issue I am facing.

The GPU’s in these servers and passed through to vm’s are modern and current, as are the servers themselves. Servers are all supermicro x9, x10, x11. GPU’s are a mix of both Nvidia and Radeon. I have nvidia GTX 1070,1080, RTX 2060/2070, K1000. Radeon, mainly RX 570, 580, 590.

All servers have a 10gbe connection. The performance is no difference if I’m wired on the LAN at home, WiFi on lan at home, or remote on 1gbe connection. So, I’m guessing it isn’t network related.

I have teamviewer settings set to optimize quality.

What do I need to do to take it to the next level? Use another platform aside from teamviewer? Different configuration. Are just utilize nvidia grid and/or nvidia virtual apps on these servers? Other platforms for virtualization and/or Remote Desktop that have the features I need.

It’s doable, I just need to find the right info. Thanks!