SuperMicro setup too Noisy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

buzurk

Sep 27, 2019
Hi All

Got a SM setup running an X10SDV-8C-TLN4F Motherboard and the CSE-505-203B 1U Case

I have two FAN-0065L4 fans installed at the rear blowing across ram and CPU, however i find it too noisy

Room temp is around 21degC and the fans are spinning at 5500 - 6000rpm at idle load and going up from there

Id love to run some notuas instead, but not sure if they will have the cfm?

Some options i think i have
1) stick a notua on top of the heatsink, currently the passive cooled CPU
2) Replace the two rear fans, with what but?
3) is there a shroud worth buying?
4) Ditch the rear fans, single 60mm on CPU only?

thanks

sth

Oct 29, 2015
the shroud is worth buying too, you can fashion one out of cardboard to verify its value before splurging.

buzurk

Sep 27, 2019
Think i may have address some of the issue

The 40mm fans were pushing air out, not in, switched them around and the system ramped down to 4800rpm, much better but still a little noisy

Hoping if i go the active HSF then the 40mm will ramp down even more and just be there as a helper

buzurk

Sep 27, 2019
Well, no such luck this thing is as noisy as can be

Wondering if its worth having still, or buy the bits, has anyone made a near silent build out of this by going active hsf

Rolando

Aug 8, 2019
I had the same chassis with the motherboard variant that had the active cooling for the CPU, I replaced the stock fans with a set of Noctua NF-A 4x20 and the results where good, I didn’t manage to change the stock cpu fan because I then migrated to a new system the e300-9d-8cn8tp which also has the passive heatsink for the cpu, however I found that the Noctua fans didn’t provided enough airflow to keep the cpu cool, so I’m also in the middle of how to address that too.