Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
What side effects do i have to face, if the uplink connection of stacking members will exceed the 100m limit ? Losing stack members, lost packets ? I want to stack one member using a 140m multimode cable, otherwise i just can stack the cores and use regular LAGs.
most 40gbase-SR4 optics are rated for 125M of OM4 no problem, I'd imagine if you have good optics, fiber, and clean it properly beforehand 140m wouldn't cause a lot of issues

if you go over that or use worse fiber and you get connection drops, it depends how you've cabled it. stack members should be connected with 2 runs (like a ring), so if it loses one connection it just fails over to the other. If you lose both links then obviously you'll get some packet loss to destinations on that switch, and if they both go down for longer the stack member will eventually be counted as lost until the stack master sees it again

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
most 40gbase-SR4 optics are rated for 125M of OM4 no problem, I'd imagine if you have good optics, fiber, and clean it properly beforehand 140m wouldn't cause a lot of issues

if you go over that or use worse fiber and you get connection drops, it depends how you've cabled it. stack members should be connected with 2 runs (like a ring), so if it loses one connection it just fails over to the other. If you lose both links then obviously you'll get some packet loss to destinations on that switch, and if they both go down for longer the stack member will eventually be counted as lost until the stack master sees it again
Ok, so i guess, connecting a 6450 in a mixed stack connected to two 6610 using a regular 10GBase-SR optic over 140m mm fibre will work, im planning to use original Brocade transceivers (does it make any difference where the transceivers were made ? Malaysia or China ?). I hope my fibre is made of good quality, had no problems on our last lan event using that cable with LAG. I'll give it a shot, i mean, if there are going to be any problems, i would see them right away, right ?

Revoman

May 23, 2019
Finally jumped in with an ICX6100-24F from ebay. Price was right, but its single PSU and FANTRAY are mismatched. :( turns out I didn't save all that much having to buy a 2nd fan with the right flow.

..CPSS DxCh Version: cpss3.4p1 release
FATAL MISMATCH: Atleast one PSU and FAN FRU should have same air-flow direction!!!
PSU fan air-flow direction: FRONT-TO-BACK!
FANTRAY fan air-flow direction: BACK-TO-FRONT!
System is shutting down!!!
Rebooting(0)...

Good news is, I was able to flash the latest firmware.

Monitor>reset
$
ICX Boot Code Version 10.1.00 (grz10100)

infoMatt

Apr 16, 2019
Finally jumped in with an ICX6100-24F from ebay. Price was right, but its single PSU and FANTRAY are mismatched. :( turns out I didn't save all that much having to buy a 2nd fan with the right flow.
Ask the seller for a partial refund or the correct fan tray, as in this state the product can't work... unless it was sold as non-functioning/for parts...

Reactions: fohdeesha

BobTB

Jul 19, 2019
I have came up with an idea to use my 6450-48 to connect fibre from my ISP (I have a /27 subnet) on a vlan (6 ports or so) and then connect it to the virtual pfsense, and out of that to the other vlan on which all other 42 ports of the switch will be. Taking care that is no routing between these two VLANs, is this safe to do - or not recommended at all?

BobTB

Jul 19, 2019
Does this not open up the switch to the internet? How to make sure I will not get the ssh/webinterface etc on wan, but on lan only

tojoski

Sep 22, 2019
I got my icx6450-24p today, but my console cable won't be here until next week.. I take there is not really anything I can do until I get that?

A fan mod is definitely in the pipe for this thing,, I think the fans may actually failing as they have more of a high pitch ring than I was expecting.

Wolfstar

Nov 28, 2015
I got my icx6450-24p today, but my console cable won't be here until next week.. I take there is not really anything I can do until I get that?

A fan mod is definitely in the pipe for this thing,, I think the fans may actually failing as they have more of a high pitch ring than I was expecting.
That's actually quite probable. Mine has no ring to it and there isn't even much of the 40mm fan whine really. Same switch - ICX6450-24P.

e97

Jun 3, 2015
This thread is already at 11 - lets kick it up a notch to 12.

ill be looking to water cooling the ICX 6610-48P to make it quiet and (hopefully) use less power.

will also look into replacing the PSU with a high efficiency platinum one.

@fohdeesha has kindly shared that it requires 12V and 52V (PoE).

we also need to trick the fan rpm sense pins since no more stock fans.. hopefully its the same ATX standard and pump and rad fan output can be used.

juey

Oct 1, 2018
Germany
This thread is already at 11 - lets kick it up a notch to 12.

ill be looking to water cooling the ICX 6610-48P to make it quiet and (hopefully) use less power.

will also look into replacing the PSU with a high efficiency platinum one.

@fohdeesha has kindly shared that it requires 12V and 52V (PoE).

we also need to trick the fan rpm sense pins since no more stock fans.. hopefully its the same ATX standard and pump and rad fan output can be used.
The original Delta oem psu is platinum certified.

Reactions: beren and fohdeesha

blinkenlights

May 24, 2019