2x Builds... Upgrading and a server for second house

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Boris

May 16, 2015
I have not. I can disable the cache any time, but a benchmark wouldn't be very accurate with the number of VMs running on it. Once the build is complete, I can give it a try, since I plan on moving most of the high activity VMs to the NVMe SSDs.
If you remember, i did ask you if you can run sequential write speed test?
If it's comfortable for you.

At my experience with HW RAID controllers - more accurate result i got then copy huge file from NVMe to RAID. But it was with my 64Gb RAM server and 90Gb file :)
I have no ideas, if it's possible get pure and "cacheless" result with your 1Tb RAM server :)

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Not sure I can get a file copy to do it without it being at least 1TB, but here's the CDM results. I haven't enabled CacheCade yet.

The old server actually had a 9285-8e, and I used my 9270-8i here. But it seems to have been cross flashed improperly at some point - I can't change any of the adjustable task rates and the temperature reads 255C. Going to swap it out for another one when it shows up so I don't want to enable the cache yet.

Last edited:

Boris

May 16, 2015
CDM in my last case (4x4Tb RAID5) also got 600mb/s write, but on filecopy speed drops to around 350mb/s.
But thank you anyway.

PS I am just at crossroads, i almost changed all of my 8x HDD to 7200 enterprise ones, so now HW RAID is not a problem and i can switch from ZFS to HW RAID and Windows Server. But at first i should replace my 4i controller with 8i. So, additional expenses. I am not sure sequental speed will be same good. And before it happens, i want to see something good, motivating :)

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Here's a file copy. It goes into RAM almost instantly, but Task Manager shows the actual disk write speed.

Actually, here's a Hyper-V storage move. It does sync writes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris

Boris

May 16, 2015
Looks nice, thank you.

Upd: More pretty, thank you.

Last edited:

Boris

May 16, 2015
Btw, i am not familiar with SAS expanders at practice, but how did you connect 13 drives to 8i controller? As i read, there are some "internal" SAS expanders have a place in some rackmount cases.

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Actually, there's 16 drives, but practically no limit. The SC836 chassis has an expander backplane in it, so the drives connect to it, and there's 3 SAS connectors on the back. 2 (x4 lanes) are connected to the controller and 1 is meant for expansion.

There's also expander cards, like the RES2SV240 I used before with an external storage chassis. Again, connect 2x SAS cables to the controller, but individual cables to the drives.

They can be chained, I might connect the 3rd port on the backplane to the old storage chassis some day if I want to run more drives. But those would be limited to 4x 6Gb/s.

Reactions: Boris

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
Ugh, I seem to have the worst luck in the world with these things. Added the full 256GB to #2, and now I get an ECC error in the IPMI log and complete system freeze every few hours. Swapped RAM around, error stays on DIMMP1, swapped CPUs around and error still on DIMMP1, so it's got to be the board. I'm way past the 30 day return window, but filed a return on ebay anyway...we'll see what happens.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Ugh, I seem to have the worst luck in the world with these things. Added the full 256GB to #2, and now I get an ECC error in the IPMI log and complete system freeze every few hours. Swapped RAM around, error stays on DIMMP1, swapped CPUs around and error still on DIMMP1, so it's got to be the board. I'm way past the 30 day return window, but filed a return on ebay anyway...we'll see what happens.
did you try to blow the memory slot with can air? There might be something in the path blocking a connector.