Best low power SFP+ cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I'm aware the SFP+ cards don't draw too much power, however this will be going in my firewall and I'm looking to maximize runtime on UPS. The reason I'm going to SFP+ is so that I can consolidate to a single "critical" switch in the rack on the primary UPS.

I'd like to keep the cost of the card around or under 50 (ebay is totally fine). The single port cards I have on hand run about 10w (iirc), I'd like to get to or under 5w. My current though is a Connectx-3, is that my best bet?

Ruklaw

Dec 12, 2016
To answer your question, and almost to repeat myself from another thread, Startech have a model based on the Tehuti TN4010 chipset that has very low power requirements, doesn't even feature a heatsink - PCI Express 10G SFP+ Network Adapter Card | Network Adapter Cards | StarTech.com

There aren't loads of them floating round dirt cheap on ebay but they are lower power consumption we've been using them in production on servers at work for a few years now without issue - you might get lucky and find one going cheap.

Realistically though, I can't see 5-10w difference giving a meaningful improvement on UPS runtime unless your system is already seriously low power (in which case, can it actually handle 10gb of traffic)?

And if this is about your switch only having an SFP+ socket available for the firewall, then I'd suggest trying a regular 1gb SFP in the socket, odds are it will work and you can connect up on good old fashioned 1000base-t.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
To answer your question, and almost to repeat myself from another thread, Startech have a model based on the Tehuti TN4010 chipset that has very low power requirements, doesn't even feature a heatsink - PCI Express 10G SFP+ Network Adapter Card | Network Adapter Cards | StarTech.com

There aren't loads of them floating round dirt cheap on ebay but they are lower power consumption we've been using them in production on servers at work for a few years now without issue - you might get lucky and find one going cheap.

Realistically though, I can't see 5-10w difference giving a meaningful improvement on UPS runtime unless your system is already seriously low power (in which case, can it actually handle 10gb of traffic)?

And if this is about your switch only having an SFP+ socket available for the firewall, then I'd suggest trying a regular 1gb SFP in the socket, odds are it will work and you can connect up on good old fashioned 1000base-t.
That is quite a pricey card new. Hows the module compatibility?

The firewall itself is sitting at ~20W-25W with low traffic, about 5W of that is a duel port Intel 1G card. It's also a smaller case, so another 5+ W where the card is means I'd have to kick the fan speed up (more power). So it would be a 20%+ power increase (for simi idle, aka only the things on the main UPS and minimal other devices). I don't really need 10g to the firewall, but it means I don't need to worry if a switch is going to work with a sfp module, or going with an all qsfp switch without sacrificing a whole qsfp port and hoping it works.

I'm aiming for some extensive uptime on the main UPS, effectively I want it to survive a half day outage. I don't have it all set up that way now, this is just one piece I'm figuring out :) And I don't even have a 40G switch yet, but I plan to in the future so it makes sense to me to keep that in mind.

Ruklaw

Dec 12, 2016
I can't recall using a module with it that didn't work to be honest - has been used with Intel sr optics, Avago sr, Cisco DA cables (official and cheap knockoff...), think I recently put one of these dirt cheap prolabs modules in without issue - 5 X Proalabs- EX-SFP-10GE-SR-C SFP 10G Base Fibre module | eBay

I might be mixed up about whether that was in the startech or something else, can double check tomorrow if you like.

Either way there are definitely affordable options for that part of the equation.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
I can't recall using a module with it that didn't work to be honest - has been used with Intel sr optics, Avago sr, Cisco DA cables (official and cheap knockoff...), think I recently put one of these dirt cheap prolabs modules in without issue - 5 X Proalabs- EX-SFP-10GE-SR-C SFP 10G Base Fibre module | eBay

I might be mixed up about whether that was in the startech or something else, can double check tomorrow if you like.

Either way there are definitely affordable options for that part of the equation.

Let me know if you get a chance to check the model. I think I'd be happy with any card that "soft idles" (ie, some traffic but not full 10G 100%) at 5w or less. If anyone else has any cards to suggest looking at (single port is fine) let me know :)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Many current/recent Solarflare cards (7000 & 8000 series for example) are around 7-8w for dual port, but single part are hard to find I believe. Many of the older Solarflare models were around 5w according to their specs:

SFN5152F Single Port (4.0w)
SFN5162F Dual Port (4.9w)
SFN5122F Dual Port (4.9w)
SFN6122F Dual Port (5.9w)

They're cheap on eBay, but they're cheap because they're older.

My home office is in a south facing room in central California, so it gets HOT. I had an eye toward power consumption when I was reworking my setup recently and noticed that for the entry/value segment, newer models from some manufacturers consistently drew more power than older ones. You get batter performance and more features for that extra power of course, and there's still low-power options in the lineup at a price premium. But for really low consumption on a budget, older models are an option if you're OK with the age and feature set.

Similarly, for Mellanox, stepping down to Connectx-2 EN (MNPH29D-XTR) you have 6.4w for dual port SFP+.

Reactions: kiteboarder

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
Friendly suggestion to also consider the other side of the equation. If you want to really ensure a long run time on battery, consider buying a better UPS with a 2nd external battery.

Reactions: Markess

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Many current/recent Solarflare cards (7000 & 8000 series for example) are around 7-8w for dual port, but single part are hard to find I believe. Many of the older Solarflare models were around 5w according to their specs:

SFN5152F Single Port (4.0w)
SFN5162F Dual Port (4.9w)
SFN5122F Dual Port (4.9w)
SFN6122F Dual Port (5.9w)

They're cheap on eBay, but they're cheap because they're older.

My home office is in a south facing room in central California, so it gets HOT. I had an eye toward power consumption when I was reworking my setup recently and noticed that for the entry/value segment, newer models from some manufacturers consistently drew more power than older ones. You get batter performance and more features for that extra power of course, and there's still low-power options in the lineup at a price premium. But for really low consumption on a budget, older models are an option if you're OK with the age and feature set.

Similarly, for Mellanox, stepping down to Connectx-2 EN (MNPH29D-XTR) you have 6.4w for dual port SFP+.

Hows the compatibility for the SFN5152F? I initially ruled out using a Connectx-2 due to compatibility concerns. I actually have a Connectx-2, and I wouldn't have guessed it is that low power for how hot the heatsink gets.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
Friendly suggestion to also consider the other side of the equation. If you want to really ensure a long run time on battery, consider buying a better UPS with a 2nd external battery.
Sure, that's in the equation too. I do want to attempt to find a card that at least doesn't raise the current power consumption. Plus more batteries are an ongoing cost (replacements), if I am looking at buying a card anyways (all of my current spare SFP+ cards are fairly old and mostly kept on hand for testing and troubleshooting) then it is a question of how much more am I willing to spend to bump the power use down. This isn't something I need to figure out any time soon, I'm very much in the thinking and planning stage :)

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Hows the compatibility for the SFN5152F? I initially ruled out using a Connectx-2 due to compatibility concerns. I actually have a Connectx-2, and I wouldn't have guessed it is that low power for how hot the heatsink gets.
Unfortunately I don't know about the SFN5152F. I went with newer Solarflare for the moment (SFN7122 & SFN8522). I have those paired with cheap AOI A7EL SR transceivers I got for $3 each on eBay. They aren't on Solarflare's comparability list but work fine, so Im guess they're at least a little bit tolerant. Cisco DACs worked too when I tested. If you use ESxi, you'd need to add Solarflare's ESXi driver, but basic functionality was out of the box for me with Windows and Linux. I'm a hobbyist, so don't bother with the advanced features. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

As for Connectx-2: heatsink temp isn't always related to total heat & power draw. But, as you note above, its the whole system. So, I guess if you have a low wattage card with a thermal solution that can't dissipate what little heat it makes without a lot of fan, then you really aren't gaining much.

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019

Unfortunately I don't know about the SFN5152F. I went with newer Solarflare for the moment (SFN7122 & SFN8522). I have those paired with cheap AOI A7EL SR transceivers I got for $3 each on eBay. They aren't on Solarflare's comparability list but work fine, so Im guess they're at least a little bit tolerant. Cisco DACs worked too when I tested. If you use ESxi, you'd need to add Solarflare's ESXi driver, but basic functionality was out of the box for me with Windows and Linux. I'm a hobbyist, so don't bother with the advanced features. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

As for Connectx-2: heatsink temp isn't always related to total heat & power draw. But, as you note above, its the whole system. So, I guess if you have a low wattage card with a thermal solution that can't dissipate what little heat it makes without a lot of fan, then you really aren't gaining much.

True, it could be that the heatsink on the Connectx-2 just expects a higher airflow, or more static pressure.

The SFN7122 doesn't look too bad price wise, claimed power use is 7.3W typical, I'm assuming that means both SFP+s populated? So maybe ~6W with a single one?

I can measure actual power use if I have a card in hand (PCIe cable riser with dedicated power input), but I don't think ebay sellers are going to accept "card using too much power" as a return reason :D

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
NICs5.jpeg

Just as a point of reference on the heatsink thermal dissipation issue. Mellanox ConnectX-2 on top, and Solarflare SFN7122 & SFN8522 below. Both Solarflare are 7.3w according to documentation. Although, to be fair, the Mellanox has a lot of fin area. The Solarflares are probably OEM, and I'm not sure if the heatsinks are vendor specific, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefan75

mgutt

Apr 19, 2020
What about the Intel X710-DA2? Dual Power Consumption is between 3.3 and 5.1 W:

2021-01-27 17_05_07.png

The X520-DA1 Single Port is much worse, but as its really cheap its maybe an option with DA Twinax:
2021-01-27 17_16_48.png

And this card uses a Tehuti TN4010B0 which is listed with 3W:
2021-01-27 17_25_00.png

With DAC its even lower:
2021-01-27 17_29_52.png

But I wonder why their website is dead.

Reactions: Stefan75 and abq

vcc3

Aug 19, 2018
While it is not exactly an answer to the original question, my temperature observations from SolarFlare cards could my be helpful in this context.
The Product Specification in older versions of the Solarflare Server Adapter User Guide [SF-103837-CD-18_Solarflare_Server_Adapter_User_Guide.pdf] (the specifications of SFN5xxx and SFN6xxx cards have bin removed from the manual that is currently available from xilinx) states a typical power consumption of
  • 4.9 Watt for SFN5xx2F Cards (SFC9020 controller chip)
  • 5.9 Watt for SFN7xx2F Cards (SFC9120 controller chip)
However, its hard to belief that the difference is only 1 Watt, because the heat sink on the SFN7xx2F is at least 4 times bigger than the very small heat sink on the SFN5xx2F cards. Although the heat sink is smaller on the SFN5xx2F cards, it runs colder in the same 4U server with slowly rotating 120mm fans, than a SFN7xx2F card.

sensors (lm-sensors) output for a SFN5xx2F card:
Code:
sfc-pci-6401
Adapter: PCI adapter
Controller heat sink:        N/A
Controller board temp.:  +43.0 C  (low  =  +5.0 C, high = +65.0 C)
                                  (crit = +90.0 C)
PHY temp.:               +31.0 C  (low  =  +5.0 C, high = +65.0 C)
                                  (crit = +90.0 C)

sensors (lm-sensors) output for a SFN7xx2F card:
Code:
sfc-pci-6301
Adapter: PCI adapter
1.2V supply:                          1.20 V  (min =  +1.15 V, max =  +1.25 V)
                                              (crit max =  +1.27 V)
0.9V supply:                        980.00 mV (min =  +0.85 V, max =  +1.20 V)
                                              (crit max =  +1.20 V)
0.9V supply (ext. ADC):             932.00 mV (min =  +0.85 V, max =  +1.20 V)
                                              (crit max =  +1.20 V)
Controller PTAT voltage (ext. ADC): 533.00 mV (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.60 V)
                                              (crit max =  +1.00 V)
0.9V die (ext. ADC):                929.00 mV (min =  +0.90 V, max =  +0.96 V)
                                              (crit max =  +1.20 V)
in5:                                     N/A
in6:                                     N/A
in7:                                  1.17 V  (min =  +1.10 V, max =  +1.30 V)
                                              (crit max =  +1.40 V)
in8:                                  1.76 V  (min =  +1.70 V, max =  +1.90 V)
                                              (crit max =  +2.00 V)
Controller board temp.:              +55.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = +70.0°C)
                                              (crit = +85.0°C)
Regulator die temp.:                 +67.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = +90.0°C)
                                              (crit = +105.0°C)
0.9V regulator temp.:                +57.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = +85.0°C)
                                              (crit = +95.0°C)
1.2V regulator temp.:                +54.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = +70.0°C)
                                              (crit = +85.0°C)
Controller die temp. (ext. ADC):     +71.0°C  (low  =  +0.0°C, high = +100.0°C)
                                              (crit = +115.0°C)
0.9V supply current:                  4.47 A  (min =  +0.00 A, max =  +9.00 A)
                                              (crit max = +10.00 A)
1.2V supply current:                860.00 mA (min =  +0.00 A, max =  +1.60 A)
                                              (crit max =  +2.00 A)

DellyRosen

Apr 7, 2021
Hi...i would like to know which 10Gb ethernet PCIe NICs are all around upheld by FreeBSD? I know there are a few manual pages for 10Gb ethernet drivers, yet it's not satisfactory which of them are all around upheld and work most productively, and which ones work "simply alright". Additionally, the manual pages frequently list just the upheld chips, yet not real equipment.

pcb online

Last edited: