Supermicro X11SCH* Bios 1.0b - Thumbs Up!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TerryPhillips

May 7, 2019
I finally got around to updating the bios on my Supermicro X11SCH-LN4F motherboards today. And so far I'll say it's been a huge success. A couple things to note fixed in this release:

1. CPU consumption due to Interrupts: Before the update Core 0 on my E-2176G CPU would run at constant 80% utilization with nothing going on. It now idles along the same as the rest of the cores.
2. 128GB RAM memory support. This is double the previous amount. Currently untested...
3. Turbo Mode seems to be better as I now see 4.3GHz from the OS vs 3.88GHz previously.
4. Better support for Intel Optane M2 drives

Be sure and capture ALL your Bios setting as they will revert to default...

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
I wonder if they'll release the Optane update in something newer than 3.1 for the X11DPH. I had a POST issue until I swapped it for a Samsung.

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
I have a Supermicro x11SCA-F on hand and should get my CPU on Friday. This motherboard has been sitting unused to two months.

Anybody know if it will boot with a Xeon 2288G without a BIOS update?

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
I have a Supermicro x11SCA-F on hand and should get my CPU on Friday. This motherboard has been sitting unused to two months.

Anybody know if it will boot with a Xeon 2288G without a BIOS update?
I finally received my Xeon 2288. It boots, and the supermicro splash screen is very nice..

CPU is recognized with the bios it shipped with.

Pity my watercooler pump does not spin up! I get very short run times.

Reactions: yxman and hackpcman

RobertC

Apr 8, 2016
The X11SCA-F bios does report my ECC is working, and Windows also reports it is active.

(Replying to an emailed alert, which is not visible here..)

The only issue I have is the fan control on this motherboard is far from quiet. I should receive a Noctua controller today which will allow manual control of the fan speeds via a knob. I spent an entire day digging through forums and trying various IPMI commands with no luck. Brute force for the win!

daumas

Sep 20, 2019
The only issue I have is the fan control on this motherboard is far from quiet. I should receive a Noctua controller today which will allow manual control of the fan speeds via a knob. I spent an entire day digging through forums and trying various IPMI commands with no luck. Brute force for the win!
Sounds like you didn't issue the correct ipmitool settings. FYI - after setting the fan settings you must reset the BMC (IPMI) device for it to kick in.

I've had no issue with my Noctua fan staying quiet at idle and ramping up under CPU load after properly setting the thresholds.

Reactions: ramblinreck47