U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
I have an NH-L9i in mine and from a glance, sure doesn't seem like there is that much additional space, but I am not in a place to tear it down and measure it at the moment.

That being said, you can see in the post about my build, how tight it appears to be. Maybe I am under estimating the amount of available space.

U-NAS 810a - Xeon e-2100 - Build Thread
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/u-nas-810a-build-xeon-e-pics.23187/
Looking at your build pictures it "looks" like 15-20mm more space in there (.5-.75inch) maybe. That cooler is 37mm high at 50-60mm sounds like the maximum but at sixty Id cut some holes in the roof ;)

Last edited:

Kanid99

Jan 12, 2019
Unab says 52mm. That says, I just got a reply on Facebook from Silverstone that the cs381 is coming this quarter so I'll wait

Last edited:

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
As an update, for those of you thinking larger heatsinks, forget it. I measured flat from the board and ended up around 57mm. If I realistically account for socket, chip, etc. I think the 52mm quoted by U-NAS is spot on the money and that is with literally no clearance between top of heatsink/fan and top of case.

I did some additional cable arrangement in the case and updated my notes around temps for the e-2176g build.

LinkAdrifting

Aug 28, 2019
I was thinking of watercooling - slim 240 rad will be very elegant solution.
I got some asetek and retention ring - they have retention rings for narrow ilm for $8. It's CLC, but will probably be ok for my cpu (2818L v3). I don't have case though - still choosing
Have you tried to install a 240 radiator on the rear? I'm afraid you just can't do that since although you may install 2 of 12 cm fans there, the extra width that a 240 radiator needs (making the whole thing about 260 mm wide) isn't allowing.

LinkAdrifting

Aug 28, 2019
Unab says 52mm. That says, I just got a reply on Facebook from Silverstone that the cs381 is coming this quarter so I'll wait
It's just ridiculous, the case, with a little bit of larger space, would be perfect for everything. If they worries about the height, at least they should allow us to install a 240mm rad on the rear safely!

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Have you tried to install a 240 radiator on the rear? I'm afraid you just can't do that since although you may install 2 of 12 cm fans there, the extra width that a 240 radiator needs (making the whole thing about 260 mm wide) isn't allowing.
No I haven't. Nothing stops you from installing 120mm rad, which should be perfectly fine for low-power CPU. You're not going to put 14-cores Xeon in there, are you?

LinkAdrifting

Aug 28, 2019
No I haven't. Nothing stops you from installing 120mm rad, which should be perfectly fine for low-power CPU. You're not going to put 14-cores Xeon in there, are you?
Not 14-core Xeon, but a 8c16t one with 85 Watts TDP is pretty much nearly the same...

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, I got 75W 2618Lv3. Will probably get CS381, or something else.
I'm running an e2176g Xeon, which is 80W TDP. It has been fine. I recently bought a second 810a chassis to use as a DAS and moved all over my spinners over to it, so now only have SSDs in my 810a and I am consistently at 35c in a closed in closet at home, with door closed, and no ventilation. When I had spinners in the chassis, I was around 41C.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
I'm running an e2176g Xeon, which is 80W TDP. It has been fine. I recently bought a second 810a chassis to use as a DAS and moved all over my spinners over to it, so now only have SSDs in my 810a and I am consistently at 35c in a closed in closet at home, with door closed, and no ventilation. When I had spinners in the chassis, I was around 41C.
Hm...
So you're saying there's a chance I can run 75W E5-2618L with Radeon WX2100 and PM1725 SSD in that little case? :rolleyes:

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Oh, I'm not trying to be scrcastic here. I thought this case will fit lowed TDP CPUs only, but glad you have something more powerful. I got some doubts about my idea to add SSD and Videocard for HTPC as well.

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
Oh, I'm not trying to be scrcastic here. I thought this case will fit lowed TDP CPUs only, but glad you have something more powerful. I got some doubts about my idea to add SSD and Videocard for HTPC as well.
Well like I said, was idling around 41C in a tight closet with no ventilation when I had a total of 10 disks in the chassis. That was 2 x 970 EVO NVMe drives, 6 spinners, and 2 1TB 860 Evo SSDs. More recently, I bought a second 810a chassis and built a DAS utilizing a SM Power Control Board. That meant I added a an LSI 9207-8E. I moved all of the spinners to that secondary chassis and am now running a total of 8 SSDs in the 2.5" bays in the primary chassis plus the 2 x NVMe drives. When I did that, idle temps now hang out around 34-35C in both chassis.

If I can do that in a tight closet with no ventilation, you should be fine. Mostly depends on the video card and what else you are loading up in the chassis. If you are looking at something more hardcore, go with the CS381 from Silverstone. Personally, I like the looks of the 810a better and obviously when I did my build, the CS381 still hadn't been released yet.

DistantStar

Dec 21, 2019
Is this case still pretty much the only "Synology-like" case on the market?

Also, how does the backplane handle the 3.3V pin problem of shucked drives?

Last edited: