Supermicro board failing to post

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I have an X9-SRL-f that was working fine under server 2012 R2 until it suddenly wasn't. Now the board will turn on, I'll see the bios start to load and then suddenly power off. At first I thought it was a bad psu although changing that had no effect. Swapping out the cpu and memory also didn't help things any neither did clearing the cmos. I'm at a bit of a loss what to even consider next, is the board just shot?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Make sure your HSF is properly installed. Could be going into thermal shutdown.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Will it boot from a USB stick if you remove all peripherals and add-in cards? Tried running a BIOS/ BMC/ IPMI recovery cycle?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Will it boot from a USB stick if you remove all peripherals and add-in cards? Tried running a BIOS/ BMC/ IPMI recovery cycle?
Haven't tried usb, it's actually not getting far enough to try to boot. How do I run a bios/bmc/ipmi recovery cycle? I can't actually get into the bios? I did try clearing the cmos already.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Here's a link that may help...or not :)

He mentions holding the keys until you see the USB stick being accessed, but I believe SM officially say to hold them until you hear a couple of wee beeps. This may or may not mean the same thing in practise :)

Supermicro have some pdf's on their site relating to BIOS recovery methods too.

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
so, it could be a empty bios battery, but a defective bios chip or borked content sounds also very reasonable to me.
You can reflash through the ipmi.

Reactions: BLinux

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
so, it could be a empty bios battery, but a defective bios chip or borked content sounds also very reasonable to me.
You can reflash through the ipmi.
I'll give replacing the battery a shot(hft carries spares!) and it looks like there's no ipmi on my board it's the X9-SRL non -f variant taking a look. but I think I saw a usb option as well.