Supermicro X10 mATX board and Hyper 212 EVO?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I don't have that board, but it looks to have the narrow ILM socket (rectangular rather than square pattern to the bolt holes). The Hyper 212 Evo's documentation shows LGA 2011-3 as compatible, but from the looks of the diagrams, they mean the more common square hole pattern.

It may work though, as the clamping mechanism is very adjustable. I was able to mount a Hyper 212 onto a narrow ILM 2011 (not a 2011-3) socket. But, it didn't apply much clamping pressure to the CPU, so I went with a different solution.

There aren't as many choices when it comes to the narrow ILM heatsink mounting format.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I can confirm that the board has Narrow ILM which means that the Hyper 212 does not officially work with that mounting.
Since @Markess did manage to put it onto 2011-0 Narrow ILM which is identical to this one, you will be able to make it work in some way.

I have seen other people with for example AIO water coolers that used the AM3 / AM4 mounting and clamped it down on the overlappings of the mounting.

I'm just trying to say that you can make it work.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
@adminmat , to clarify if you want to try it with the Hyper 212: I used the LGA 2011 screws provided with the cooler and threaded them into the socket assembly. I put the fold-able bracket into the "AMD" configuration. Then, I spread the bracket open a bit more and slid the fixing screws in their slots until they lined up with the threaded holes in the top of the mounting screws on the socket assembly. The center pivot won't be locked at this point (it will be between two locking holes), and some of the fixing screws may be between the locking "detent" positions in their slots. Hope that made sense? Anyway, because the components aren't "locked" in, it gives it a less firm feel in my opinion.

If you're thinking of using a Hyper 212, I assume you're not running a server and are needing point cooling for a desktop style case? If so, I've had a few desktop style systems at home with Narrow 2011 sockets and found that, other than server oriented gear, there's very little selection. So, here's what I've tried myself:

1. Concerning the liquid cooling option that @RageBone mentions: For AIO liquid coolers that use the Asetek mounting system, Asetek sells a mounting kit for Narrow 2011 sockets. If you aren't familiar, many manufacturers use the Asetek mounting system, so you aren't locked in to Asetek branded coolers. I'm using one of these mounting kits with a Corsair H55 Cooler on a Supermicro X9DRT-F with no issues. If Asetek shows out of stock, you can email to them to ask for more. I've done that twice now, and they've restocked when I requested it. I don't think these are in high demand at this point, so I think they only reorder from their suppliers when people ask. As far as I know, this is the only ready-to-use liquid cooling solution for Narrow 2011 that's still available. If somebody else knows of something else, I hope they chime in! Link to the Asetek store:

Intel 2011 Narrow Standard Retention Kit for Asetek Liquid Coolers

As for other options:

2. Dynatron makes a 2U cooler, with a small fan, but it sounds like a 747 on takeoff.

3. Lots of passive heatsink options for server use. If you've got a desktop case, its possible to use a server style 1U or 2U passive heatsink along with a cooling fan. I've used Supermicro SNK-P0057PS, which have open fins at the top, along with a 92 MM Fan on top for downdraft, and it worked fairly well with low wattage CPUs.

4. For another machine with dual 95 watt CPUs, I printed 3D printed brackets to let me use off the shelf air coolers with the AMD clip-on style mounting:

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Well, in the general area of coolers made for Narrow ILM, you can not ignore Noctua with their i4 linup.

But in terms of the Hyper 212, what you @Markess are describing is exactly what i meant, and what i have seen with the mentioned AIO AM3/4 Mounting.
On the Custom watercooling side, EK offers Narrow ILM brakets for all of their Suprimecy cpu blocks. But you can also mod a AM4 or AM3 one. Just drill some holes.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Well, in the general area of coolers made for Narrow ILM, you can not ignore Noctua with their i4 linup.

But in terms of the Hyper 212, what you @Markess are describing is exactly what i meant, and what i have seen with the mentioned AIO AM3/4 Mounting.
On the Custom watercooling side, EK offers Narrow ILM brakets for all of their Suprimecy cpu blocks. But you can also mod a AM4 or AM3 one. Just drill some holes.
Thanks for sharing this. I'd somehow missed the Noctua offerings. I think that's definitely a good way to go if one is going air in a non-server case. I recalled that EK had a bracket, but haven't graduated past AIO for liquid cooling yet myself.

adminmat

Sep 1, 2019
@adminmat , to clarify if you want to try it with the Hyper 212: I used the LGA 2011 screws provided with the cooler and threaded them into the socket assembly. I put the fold-able bracket into the "AMD" configuration. Then, I spread the bracket open a bit more and slid the fixing screws in their slots until they lined up with the threaded holes in the top of the mounting screws on the socket assembly. The center pivot won't be locked at this point (it will be between two locking holes), and some of the fixing screws may be between the locking "detent" positions in their slots. Hope that made sense? Anyway, because the components aren't "locked" in, it gives it a less firm feel in my opinion.
@Markess Thanks for all the details. Funny enough I found out about the Asetek adapter today but saw that it was sold out. I'll write them and order one. Will be good to get in case they stop making them. Thanks for the heads up on that. This afternoon I went ahead and ordered a Noctua NH-U12DX i4. I was debating between this and the smaller NH-U9DX i4. I went with the U12 because of the larger mass (580g vs 460g). And it's taller and skinnier so less covering memory. And I have room for it in my case.

Now I know this will get some protest but I'm building this in a Raijintek STYX m-ATX case. :D The U12 fits! (Dont worry, will be using a 8 bay DIY DAS) But the little STYX will hold a few drives and not look so obtrusive in my little apartment.

I love Noctua's stuff. As a fellow 3D printer I run THREE of them on my printer! One on the extruder, one on the main board and one on my RaspberryPi for Octoprint! Nice job on that bracket BTW... I also have a NH-D15S in my desktop PC. It's a work of art.

My Supermicro board came with a Dynatron R13. I did hear that it was quite loud and you can bet I'll be connecting it just so I can hear :)

Really, thanks for the advice, thanks to @RageBone as well.

Reactions: RageBone

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Now I know this will get some protest but I'm building this in a Raijintek STYX m-ATX case. :D The U12 fits! (Dont worry, will be using a 8 bay DIY DAS) But the little STYX will hold a few drives and not look so obtrusive in my little apartment.
Won't get any protest from me! I've got no room to judge. One of my servers with the Narrow 2011 sockets is fitted into a 1st generation 2006 Mac Pro case, and the other is in old Antec mid-tower of about the same vintage (although modified with lasercut and 3D bits to correct the non existent ventilation).

Good luck with the build! I've never had a Noctua product I didn't like.

Reactions: adminmat

adminmat

Sep 1, 2019
Won't get any protest from me! I've got no room to judge. One of my servers with the Narrow 2011 sockets is fitted into a 1st generation 2006 Mac Pro case, and the other is in old Antec mid-tower of about the same vintage (although modified with lasercut and 3D bits to correct the non existent ventilation).

Good luck with the build! I've never had a Noctua product I didn't like.
Thanks! What 3D printer do you use? Do you post your designs?

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I volunteer at an educational non-profit and use the gear they have for Maker Education classes. They've got a Lulzbot Mini and a number of Printrbot Plays (Printrbot was local to us, and the Play is great for small stuff). They've also got a mid size Universal Laser, which is great for panels, disk cages & other flat parts using acrylic.

I've not been posting any designs. Most of my designs are household repair items. Almost everything computer related has been modified from someone else's design. The bracket I posted above was reworked from this design. I made a few changes so it wouldn't flex & was a bit more stable when mounted, and adjusted it for more clamping pressure: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3349529

I do tip/pay designers if I use a design as a starting point, but I suppose I ought to post what I come up with when something works well.

Octoprint looks interesting. How to you like it? What printer are you using?

adminmat

Sep 1, 2019
Octoprint looks interesting. How to you like it? What printer are you using?
OOooo... That laser cutter would be nice. I think you should definitely post your makes. Actually, one of the motivations behind setting up a storage server was to archive STL files from sites like Thingiverse, etc. Being that it may all disappear one day. And it's an incredible body of work.

About 3 years ago I "bought my girlfriend" a Monoprice Select Mini V1 for $200. Well after a year of collecting dust I decided to mess around with it. Was fun to print things from others STL files but everything changed when I learned how to design my own files. I use SketchUp. Yes I know.. probably the worst for 3D printing but I already was familiar with it. Having the ability to design something and have it in your hand within a few hours is just too cool. I'm limited to a 120mm cube so I have been thinking about an Ender 3 pro.

I have some files on Thingiverse. Most are for a 10" custom rack to mount small router, switch, SFF PC. I used an Ikea cabinet since it was going to sit in my living room. (Small apartment) And I couldn't find a 10" rack in the US. Was a fun little project and I still use it.

_Happy_'s Thingiverse Profile

BTW, the MP Select Mini is a really great little printer it takes some mods but they are part of the fun! There is a huge online community. And you can get them for ~$150.

Octoprint: Very easy setup. I mainly use the octoprint GUI to do everything now. There's a load of helpful plugins. I can power on the printer, pre-heat, upload a file, and print from any PC in the house. Even from my phone. I have OctoLapse setup and and can monitor through that camera as well. The MP Select Mini V1 was pretty bare bones so this basically gives it every modern feature available.

Reactions: caelyb