Samsung PM953 M.2 960GB $69.70 / $65 BO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
If it was just the smart showing random issues I might be able to live with it; but whatever is going on is degrading the performance greatly. I contacted him with the pictures I posted here and asked for a replacement part. Probably need to wait on them to wake up on the left coast to get a response...
Were you able to get the replacement sorted out with the seller?

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
If not, open an ebay case case against the seller.

Sellers should always test their hardware before listing.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
How long should I wait on this replacement to ship before getting ebay or paypal involved?
I believe eBay has a minimum 2 or 3 day waiting period before you can escalate a case to them for mediation. I'd open a case against the seller for defective item/significantly not as described and see if that speeds up the resolution.

eBay will, at a minimum, require the seller to provide a prepaid shipping label for the return, as the part was DoA.

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
Started the process last Thursday, so it's coming up on a week now. The guy said he would get things going on Monday but that never happened. Then last night he tells me that he can't find my return which I never got a label or instructions to perform. He also said they sold all of their drives which you can easily see is a lie since there is 10+ showing even now on their listing.

At that point the guy is giving me the run around with lies so I wrote him back something a bit more sternly worded than before. He stated he wants to resolve it when he gets in the office today. We will see...

duckduck

Aug 22, 2016
I got two of these today. One I'm thinking was a maybe a hotspare. Because it shows zero reads or writes listed in SMART. The other has only 110GB writes and 3TB reads. And then both are around 150 power on hours.
Little annoying Samsung doesn't seem to have much info on this drive on their site anymore.

Last edited:

Propaganda

Dec 6, 2017
Seller is sending me 2x of the 480GB version as compensation for the one that doesn't work correctly since he says they don't have any more left of the 960GB. I guess i'll get another asus card and make a mirrored OS drive with those and use the larger drives for VM storage.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
Mine arrived today.
Not having the best experience, bios sees the drive, but in Windows 10 I get this:
upload_2019-9-14_17-37-55.png
upload_2019-9-14_17-38-21.png

Unsure if it's an issue with my computer, or the drive.
Don't think it's my computer, as the 960 evo nvme used to be in the slot the PM953 currently occupies.
Any tips to what I could check?
Dont have another computer that supports 22110 nvme drives afaik

-j

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Try reseating the drive, if that doesn't work open a case on eBay and send it back. Not worth the hassle. NVMe rarely has compatibility issues.

agent007ge

Jul 27, 2018
Mine arrived today.
Not having the best experience, bios sees the drive, but in Windows 10 I get this:
View attachment 11927
View attachment 11928

Unsure if it's an issue with my computer, or the drive.
Don't think it's my computer, as the 960 evo nvme used to be in the slot the PM953 currently occupies.
Any tips to what I could check?
Dont have another computer that supports 22110 nvme drives afaik

-j
I got the same thing when I had the Samsung NVMe driver installed. It worked fine once I uninstalled that.

On a side note, I purchased two drives and one had the same slow write speed / Smart failure Propaganda had. Seller was slow to respond (claimed they had an illness) but after 5 days finally sent a prepaid USPS shipping label to return.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
I got the same thing when I had the Samsung NVMe driver installed. It worked fine once I uninstalled that.

On a side note, I purchased two drives and one had the same slow write speed / Smart failure Propaganda had. Seller was slow to respond (claimed they had an illness) but after 5 days finally sent a prepaid USPS shipping label to return.
I forgot I installed Samsung Magician, and hit install samsung nvme driver inside the app.
Uninstalled the driver, and now the drive is working in Windows :)
Thanks!

12 power on count
98 hours power on
110GB host writes

Almost unused it seems

-j