X11SPM-TPF - what 10G RJ45 SFP+ tranciever?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
Hi,
I need your support
there has been a challenge emerged in the process of building freeNAS system on Supermicro X11SPM-TPF. Acquired 10G RJ45 SFP+ transceiver does not work with the MB, or at least something needs to be done to make it working.
the transceiver is: UniFi UF-RJ45-10G.
When it is installed in the MB - MB does not recognize it - possibly something needs to be changed in the BIOS - could not figure it out.
In the same time connected via cable switch shows working connection - green light.

Question: what could be done (if at all) in BIOS to make the transceiver recognized by the MB?
Alternatively, what JG45 10GB transceiver could be used with this MB (supporter / accepted by Supermicro)?

Waterkippie

Oct 12, 2017
The network controller is a Intel X722 which is vendor locked and will only accept Intel encoded transceivers unfortunately.

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
Thanks.
This would mean, that the transceiver needs to be coded specifically for Intel equipment, and then it might work.
Would it be also right assumption the transceiver might be coded for Intel switches / routers - this would be sufficient to make it work for the MB?

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
sorry, for maybe duplicating myself. just added SFP+ to my lab - hence being in the learning curve,
Intel encoded - this just means just encoded, but whether it is Intel or other brand - it does not matter.
understood. I'll try to take another try with another transceiver.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Transceiver codes for Intel...

Or

Use a DAC, eg Cisco twinax
SFP-H10GB-CU1M (1M,2M,3M,5M available in passive)

AndroGen

Jan 21, 2019
Use a DAC, eg Cisco twinax
SFP-H10GB-CU1M (1M,2M,3M,5M available in passive)
this would mean i need to get the switch with SFP+ socket - not available, and too expensive for the set-up.

I'll try to use the transceiver with Intel codes, let' see whether this would work.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
this would mean i need to get the switch with SFP+ socket - not available, and too expensive for the set-up.

I'll try to use the transceiver with Intel codes, let' see whether this would work.
Sorry missed you didn’t have any SFP+ ports on switch.

I honestly don’t know if there is such a think as an Intel codes SFP+ RJ45 ... it may simply not exist as Intel as far as I know have no genuine item as it’s outside the standards. Do let us know how you get on.

DedoBOT

Dec 24, 2018
Mine X11, same model - not single issue with oem sfp+ sr modules. Tried 3 or 4 brands so far, ebay's all of them. Not sure about sfp+ to rg45 although.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Does this MB model's SFP+ port work with all DACs connected to a cisco SG500x switch?

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
If this is a linux host, can you load the ixgbe module with allow_unsupported_sfp set to 1? This should allow you to use any transceiver.

edit: derp, sorry, I see now, FreeNAS.