Bios modification - X9SRW-F + iPXE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Hi,

is there anyone with bios modification experience?

As we use IPv6 in our network, we usualy use external network card on non-uefi servers. This unfortunately consumes one PCI-E slot.

We would like to try building a custom bios with iPXE support and flashed it right to the server.

If there is a contractor, who can do this for us, feel free to get in touch with me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
I think SM already has support for PXE on all Nics.
It might be the crappy and standard intel pxe, but never the less, they do also support iscsi as a protokoll in legacy mode i think.

So if you want to have ipxe instead of the normal one, you don't need to mod the bios, instead just flash the pxe rom of the nics like ipxe tell you to do.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
I thought so when I started plaing with it, but on-board network cards rom is part of a bios.

Therefore we use external network cards, where this is possible, but they consume a PCI-E slot. :(

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Although they support standard Intel PXE, they don't support IPv6 PXE, which we need.

Newer servers (or dual cpu E5v1/v2) don't have this problem as UEFI supports IPv6, but single CPU E5 doesn't support it.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
ok. Interesting that it made it to the dual socket boards, but not to the single socket ones.
looked up a picture, and i now know what you mean.