Enterprise generic SATA spinning disks/SSDs for HPE G10 line

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bobi

May 1, 2019
Hey guys.... how does generic enterprise SATA SSD/spinning disks work in HPE G10 line? Their 1U and 2U boxes are very competitive nowadays. RAM is not a problem usually, but SSDs/HDDs missing HPE firmware could be a deal breaker in terms of pricing.....

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Curious question. Since you're interested in the latest server models, I assume you'd be buying them new then I assume using these in a business setting? You do realize that HP may just refuse your tech support and/or warranty if they find that you're using non-HP parts?
Second, Don't take my word for it, but afaik since G9, they had locked their servers to HP only storage devices.

bobi

May 1, 2019
...thanks for your quick response BoredSysadmin. Yes, looking for a business use and I can imagine they can(they will) refuse the warranty/support.... but nowadays, all the apps we/I build are horizontally scalable, so not worrying about one box going down etc.... Sad, that they have locked G9+ hdd's down to their own branded disks (custom firmware)... I like the flexibility buying generic enterprise SSDs without being locked in etc...but it looks like with G10 it's not an option :(

I hoped it's just for bootup disk(s) only :(

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Why not look at something from Gigabyte? - they look very nice and STH reviews like them as well. I like Quanta [QTC] servers. Supermicro - not as much.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
HPE has always spun their own firmware for drives and have enhanced smart capability through their controllers.
If you are not going to use raid then it doesn't matter, you still need to source the hdd smart trays from somewhere which are $10/20 ea. I am using Generic Toshiba 5tb drives on my ML110 Gen9 And no, drives don't fall under hpe warranty but they certainly don't void my warranty on the other hpe components.

bobi

May 1, 2019
... can't find much pricing & online/distributors for Quanta servers..... Gigabyte has a few barebones on newegg... also, I dont think Quanta/Gigabyte has 1 CPU model for Scalable 2nd gen processors (4210 is cool).... Any recommendations for companies that sell them for good $$ ? Otherwise, it looks like it's x2-3 times the pricing of HP/Supermicro.

Patriot..not looking for RAID-ing the disks ..... thx

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
... can't find much pricing & online/distributors for Quanta servers..... Gigabyte has a few barebones on newegg... also, I dont think Quanta/Gigabyte has 1 CPU model for Scalable 2nd gen processors (4210 is cool).... Any recommendations for companies that sell them for good $$ ? Otherwise, it looks like it's x2-3 times the pricing of HP/Supermicro.

Patriot..not looking for RAID-ing the disks ..... thx
If you aren't looking for raid, then all disk are hba passthrough and doesn't matter what fw they have.

bobi

May 1, 2019
...this bold statement caught my attention...

"Guaranteed by federal law - This 879507-B21, HP 16GB (1x 16GB) Dual Rank x8 PC4-21300V-E (DDR4-2666) Unbuffered CAS-19 Memory Kit equivalent made by Samsung, SK Hynix or Micron does not affect or void HP warranties."... this is from memory.net

I guess, HPE can't refuse the warranty for using non-brand HPE RAM either. So only HDDs with firmware for Raid config are their only hope :p