What's the best high endurance enterprise M.2 on the market right now?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
"Best" is subjective I think but in terms of endurance the optane is the most obvious answer, although the top-of-the-line P4801X tops out at 375GB rated at 30DWPD. They are... not cheap.

The Samsung PM983s are probably the best non-optane M2 SSDs available right now, I think most of the models are rated at 1.3DWPD.

What's the expected workload?

Reactions: Hydrogen_Bombaklot
Jul 16, 2019
"Best" is subjective I think but in terms of endurance the optane is the most obvious answer, although the top-of-the-line P4801X tops out at 375GB rated at 30DWPD. They are... not cheap.

The Samsung PM983s are probably the best non-optane M2 SSDs available right now, I think most of the models are rated at 1.3DWPD.

What's the expected workload?
Rendering and/or HPC.

Optane out of my price range. I've looked at the Samsungs. Any feelings one way or the other on the Toshiba XD5 series?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Any feelings one way or the other on the Toshiba XD5 series?
I'd thought the XD5s were 2.5" only but it seems their previous incarnation included the M2 form factor. No experience of them though and I've not seen them in the retail channels either. DWPD doesn't seem any larger than the Samsung drives.

Aren't rendering and HPC workloads normally CPU/memory limited rather than being storage/IO limited?

Jul 16, 2019
I'd thought the XD5s were 2.5" only but it seems their previous incarnation included the M2 form factor. No experience of them though and I've not seen them in the retail channels either. DWPD doesn't seem any larger than the Samsung drives.

Aren't rendering and HPC workloads normally CPU/memory limited rather than being storage/IO limited?
They are available in Canada, although the prices are pretty high.

Toshiba Xd5 Kxd51ln11t92 Solid State Drive - Canada

Toshiba Xd5 Kxd51ln11t92 Solid State Drive - KXD51LN11T92

I ask about them specifically because I came across this review, but I'm not sure how reliable the enterprisestorageforum is tbh: Best M.2 SSD: Toshiba XD5 Series - Product Overview and Insight

It's not as fast as some others, but they are supposedly very reliable drives.

Also, Rendering workloads are normally cpu/memory limited, but SATA is too slow, and if I'm going M.2 I want good reliability. NVME is a requirement today for HPC. I was initially looking at the Micron 9300 U.2 series, but I really like Supermicros 2014tp-htr systems, and they aren't packing any U.2 slots.