6.5 install to SSD , and now i have a "datastore1" ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Ive actually never installed ESXi to anything *but* a USB stick / BOSS / SD card. Ofcouse i had one USB start to fail (not fully yet, but its getting there). So i decided to reinstall (6.5 u2 iso from my.vmware.com) but this time to a 80gb s3500 SSD i had laying around.

all went great, but when the host came up, alongside my normal datastores, i noticed i had a "datastore1" with ~70gb of freespace. (clearly is on the SSD which is my boot drive). And its using VMFS5 (vs my others are all 6).

is this normal behavior for esxi installer , when installing to a disk that is larger than X GB? (or maybe in cases where you disk is NOT a usb?)

(can i safely delete this datastore1?, as id really rather it just be a boot drive and nothing else)

(prob a basic question, but just a case ive never come across)
thanks

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yes its normal that you can use the free space on the installation disk :)
Just rename it to "OS_drive" and don't use it. Make sure to change cache/tmp drive to it for OS updates and logs.

Reactions: james23

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Just so it doesnt get accidentally used (ie someone creating a VM on it, instead of shared storage), I always just delete it.