Unifi UAP AC Pro DOA?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
I picked up one of these to replace my Verizon G1100's built in WiFi. I have a second 1Gb switch plugged into the G1100, and the Ubiquiti PoE adapter plugged into one of those ports. The AP boots up and goes solid white, so I think I'm ready to go, but the controller (installed on my server) does not see it. 192.168.1.20 does not respond, and I do not see any new DHCP leases on my router. Tried the manual reset on the back of the AP as well and tried another switch port. I will try plugging it directly into the router, but am not holding my breath at this point. It seems like a new unit (from Amazon). Any other ideas before I punt?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
If even the default IP direct connected isn't responding sounds like its dead, odd though that the white light indicator is going.

747builder

Dec 17, 2017
have you tried force adopting it? and the reset button the AP has to be done just right to get a true reset out of them.

ive installed a number of these and they can be a royal pain to get adopted even new out of the box. i configure them from my UniFi controller on my laptop and get them configured and then deploy them in the field for the customer. i usually just plug them into the POE injector and then to the ethernet port on my laptop and let it sit a GOOD 7 minutes and then fire up the controller, half the time they dont show up and ive had to mess with the controller for a while to get it adopted.

Good Luck.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
I'll try plugging it directly into my server today and see what I get. I'll also see if the Ubiquiti forum has anything to say.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
What do you mean by "correctly?" I did it textbook (leave plugged in, hold for 10 seconds, release).

marv

Apr 2, 2015
is the switch managed? If so do you see any mac address on port with uap? Also when doing pcap in same broadcast domain, you should see inform packets coming from the uap and maybe some ARP packets.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
It is not managed, just a cheap 1GbE switch. I have also now tried it with two different known good cables and plugged it straight into my router. Same story.

I did try Angry IP Scanner to see if a static IP was assigned to this device in my 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, but I found nothing out of the ordinary.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
my next step would then be to connect it directly to computer, start tcpdump/wireshark and see if it sends some packets.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
i think you are using the bundled poe injector right?
might be that That is at fault here.

It provides power though.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
It starts solid white for about 10 seconds, then starts to flash white in 1/2 second increments per the manual. There is a flicker of blue right as it starts the boot process, but that's it.

Yes, I am using the bundled PoE injector.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
My replacement AP came yesterday. It has the same problem, even after swapping out the PoE injector. I'm thinking this has something to do with the G1100 router refusing to allow this onto the network, though I'm not aware of any specific conflict.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
Trying a different route (no pun intended). I set up the most basic of networks: desktop + unmanaged switch + AP. I gave my desktop a 192.168.1.21 IP and tried hitting .20 once the AP booted. Response! So it seems that not only does the G1100 router refuse to assign an IP address to the AP, it outright bans it from connecting to the network even with a static IP address. I also turned off the wireless ability of the G1100 with no change. I am not sure if there is anything else to do here other than kick the G1100 to the curb if I want to use the Unifi AP. Time for a USG?

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
Well I finally got it working. When I disabled DHCP on my router, I was able to get the AP to respond on .20. I still couldn't get the controller to see it though, but I was making progress.

I wanted to set a different IP to it and stumbled onto this page: Manually setting the controller address for a Unifi AP which referenced pointing to a controller manually. It then hit me that when I installed the controller, I used a different port than 8080 since that one was already in use. I set it to the IP and port of my controller and rebooted. It worked! I could now see the AP available.

I added it and attempted to install the firmware update for it, but it failed and went into an upgrade loop, rebooting after each failure before trying again a minute or so later. I had to SCP the new firmware to the AP and then run it manually: UniFi - Changing the Firmware of a UniFi Device

I also found that I needed to open port 3483 to UDP traffic on my controller's firewall to allow STUN to work properly.

When I turned DHCP back on, I noticed that the AP fell off the network again, but this time pulled an IP address for some reason. There is still some funny business going on with the Verizon router as I saw the AP disappear from the network again briefly, but hopefully it is now behind me.

In the end, I now have better signal strength throughout my house, and I'm now able to reach my truck outside on the 2.4GHz radio, so I am happy, but this was quite an ordeal.

Reactions: BoredSysadmin

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
and I thought I had an ordeal getting mine on a 2960x when bpdu guard kept turning my ports off... It sounds like it's time to get/build a new firewall @beatle maybe build something running pfsense/opnsense ?

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
I hear you. I thought about adding pfsense as a role on my server, but it's also a bit much for what I really need. Believe it or not, I was happy with the routing performance of the G1100. It wasn't particularly pretty or full featured, but it was good enough for the girls I go out with.

I will probably just punt and pick up a USG and buy into the Unifi ecosystem.

beatle

Mar 23, 2017
I just added a USG today, replacing my G1100 "Quantum" router with FIOS. The swap itself was trivial after calling Verizon to switch over to the ethernet port on the ONT. I could access the default IP, 192.168.1.1 via the web interface, and there was a convenient looking prompt to point the USG to the controller manually. Hey, neat! Unfortunately it didn't work and I still had to SSH into the USG and point it to the controller manually. It attempted to adopt and update the firmware, but didn't appear to actually do anything. I attempted to do a "custom update" through the GUI, pointing to the updated firmware via a web address, but it just sat there and did nothing. Manually running the update command on the USG and pointing it to the Unifi download link failed. Mind you, my internet connection was live and working from my endpoints the moment the USG got an IP address from Verizon, so I knew it could see the outside world. I finally WinSCP'd the latest firmware to the USG and manually ran it. Success! I could now adopt it properly and start using it. Overall it is neat, but the speed test does not work (this seems to be a common complaint). Port forwarding and setting static IP addresses, however, is a breeze and way better than the FIOS router.