8 Core Threadripper 1900x $199.99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
I ordered the 8 core - it will be my first TR chip/system. I'm debtating if i should wait to see what next gen TR boards there might be with PCIE4 Support or just go ahead and get a board nowish/Black Firiday time.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Get a board now, there's no point in waiting for PCI-E 4.0 to come along as there's no video cards out there that truly require that much bandwidth.
The big push is going to be for PCI-E 5.0 which is on the horizon and that will be when i upgrade my setup to that standard.

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Get a board now, there's no point in waiting for PCI-E 4.0 to come along as there's no video cards out there that truly require that much bandwidth.
The big push is going to be for PCI-E 5.0 which is on the horizon and that will be when i upgrade my setup to that standard.
OK Thx!

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
TR is an excellent platform. I run a 1920 and it's crazy fast. Even with a Win10 VM loaded up on half the CPU. That's a good deal for the 8-core, even the older version.

I'm running the full size Taichi board. It works great, has CPU-less BIOS updates so you don't need an old CPU to update for the newer chips. It runs great with Linux and passthrough video cards. The down side for TR is the motherboards are more expensive, but they are also more capable, so it's a tradeoff.

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Consider also the x399d8a-2t from Asrock Rack. This is a server motherboard with IPMI and 2 * 10Gb ethernet. Too bad that it does not support registered memory. Will be available by Mid September I heard.

Reactions: anoother

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
Which monterboard to buy for 1900x?
of course it dependa what you need.

asrock phantom gaming has 3* pcie-x16 slots. i am using this bord and no complians with 1950x.

i have 1920x with gigabyte designare x399, also without problems. BUT....my experience with gigabyte support is f**king bad....in the future i will not buy any gigabyte product. just my experience.

my 3rd TR-system is asrock x399 taichi with 1950x, also no problems.

my advise: use asrock

cheapest TR MB is at this moment asrock phantom gaming 6.

Reactions: Marsh

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Does anybody know if there exists a server board, with out-of-band management, ECC RAM, etc, for either of the two ThreadRipper boards linked in the first post ^^^ ?

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
tyan has also announced x399-board with ipmi.

search on the homepage of sth about the announcement
Checking it out now.

Now we come to ASRock Rack vs Tyan. What do you think?

I understand that Tyan has a much stronger history in the server space. Is that right? Do they make better boards?