New U.2 NVRAM NVMe SSD (Radian formerly Viking)?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ouroboros

Jul 26, 2012
Previously it was reported that the Viking Technology U.2 NVMe NVRAM drive was no longer available despite only a year after announcement, or at the least no ordinary humans could obtain it.

VT-PM8 & VT-PM16 Persistent Memory Drive - Viking Technology | Memory and Storage Solutions

It apparently was a Radian Memory Systems design. Well, now it appears Radian is going to sell it on their own as the RMS-375.

http://www.radianmemory.com/rms-375/

Not sure when this happened. The website lists 8GB and 16GB and maybe 32GB, but the overview PDF says 16GB with maybe 32GB. Internal caps, so no cabled supercap pack is very nice. 8GB would be attractive for home builders if it isn't at eye-watering prices...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Previously it was reported that the Viking Technology U.2 NVMe NVRAM drive was no longer available despite only a year after announcement, or at the least no ordinary humans could obtain it.
My guess: they were "deprecated" by nvdimms. They have larger capacitites (128+ GByte) and use the memory interface instead of pcie/nvme and it's overhead.

Ouroboros

Jul 26, 2012
My guess: they were "deprecated" by nvdimms. They have larger capacitites (128+ GByte) and use the memory interface instead of pcie/nvme and it's overhead.
In the NVRAM category though, unless you are using NVDIMM-N with tethered supercapacitors, your other NVDIMM options face write lifetime restrictions. Even DC Optane NVDIMM's. Plus, NVDIMM's aren't dual ported for simple host failover, while in theory U.2 devices on a NVMe over Fabrics network would allow failover.

This is a step up from a SAS ZeusRAM for people needing failover, and dual ported compared to the PMC Flashtec (NVMe card) or the older Radian NVRAM NVMe cards. Dual ported NVMe U.2 on a NVMeoF is the logical successor to dual ported SAS systems with ZeusRAM. That, and this size is clearly targeting write journals like ZFS ZIL or database WAL.