X10SLH-F motherboard cannot complete boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I moved my working x10SLH-F (Including a Xeon E3 cpu, ram) motherboard from a desktop to a supermicro 836 rackmount. Its an esxi 6 build with a single VM (Plex). Powered it on, all lights and sound came on for a few seconds and then it stops. The LED lights on the motherboard are still on, but the PSU fan is off.

I am only using a single SQ power brick . I cannot figure out why the boot up cannot be completed.

Any helps leads appreciated.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Have you tried to use another PSU to see if it's power on in the chassis? Also it's good to check to see if any standoff short the board.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I dont have a spare PSU around to try for now, will try to find one. I power it on , and it stops on its own. I do it again, same result.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
As said before, check the standoffs. Supermicro likes to not have holes where you'd normally expect one.

Friend just got stuck on an F2 Postcode. Problem was standoff behind the PCH.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
checked all the standoffs, nothing is shorted. still scratching my head.
moved the X10SLH board back to an el cheapo ATX case, and it starts up fine.

Is there anything diagnostic i should see if either the 836 PSU or the 836A midplane is faulty? Both in question were working fine the last time I used it with an X9DR7 motherboard

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
This is sounding a bit like a problem I had with my X10SLH-F before it went live.

I was transplanting memory and CPU from another board so was just using it open on my test bench (basically just an anti-static mat). I was using a brand new Seasonic SS-300-M1U power supply; plugged it in, power LED and BMC heartbeat LED both came on as expected. As soon as I tripped the power pins, the fans span up and then the entire board instantly powered off, seemingly completely dead. Eventually I sussed that as soon as I powered on the board, the fuse in the plug was actually being blown (but give it a fresh fuse or kettle lead and the mobo was fine until you tried powering it on again). Without having another mobo to test on and horrified I'd got a duff power supply, I returned it; the vendor sent me a brand new replacement but when they conducted their own testing found no problems with the PSU.

By this point the X10SLH-F had been transplanted into the case with the old power supply with no issue. I simply assumed that I had some sort of short on my testbed that was causing the problem.

Curious you seem to be running in to the same problem but I assume you haven't blown any fuses in the plugs?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Changed the power cables just in case they have crappy fuses. Nope . not the problem
I tried putting in the X9DRD motherboard in the 836 rack chassis, and now it too displays the same problem. It would power on, a few seconds later power off, and on again and so forth.

Do I have a dodgy power distributor or something?

Last edited: