EU [eBay] Super Micro X11SCL-F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nikalai

Oct 26, 2018
I don't know if it was true but fore sure something is strange.

w3.JPG w 2.JPG w1.JPG

I thought that i was the last bidder but in the last seeconds i was outbided.

lhibou

Jun 12, 2019
eBay sniping is an interesting topic. The psychology of bidding does indeed seem to artificially inflate the price, so if you're a deal hunter (well, you're in this forum aren't you? hehe...) I would argue you should get on board the snipe-wagon if you haven't already.

The conclusion I came to after getting sick of losing auctions where I was placing an honest decent bid is that
a.) eBay allows sniping automation tools [they are aware of it and expose the API (I think?), and it's not against the TOS]
and
b.) however I feel about it, I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. It seems that most serious eBayers use them, and while I don't consider myself an eBay expert or fanatic by any means, I really was sick of it happening.

PS I've been using a web app called "Gixen" for it, for the past year or two. Don't know much about others but it's free and straight-forward to use (copy/pasta the auction ID# and put in your desired max bid and it does the rest).

PPS(edit): I wasn't bidding on this item btw, just popped by to drop this comment and my $0.02 on sniping for anyone reading. :)

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
In this case the seller appears to be using an automated tool to boost his revenue which is against tos... given amount of rescinded bids.

rootgremlin

Jun 9, 2016
welcome to ebay m8, retards using bid sniping tools everywhere.
all you really need is a ntp-synchronized client for bidding, no tools necessary.
If you input the maximum price you are willing to pay for the item, 5-2 sec before the end of the auction. (which is always mentioned to the second in the Auction)
You can win the auction 95% of the time.

int0x2e

Dec 9, 2015
eBay sniping is an interesting topic. The psychology of bidding does indeed seem to artificially inflate the price, so if you're a deal hunter (well, you're in this forum aren't you? hehe...) I would argue you should get on board the snipe-wagon if you haven't already.

The conclusion I came to after getting sick of losing auctions where I was placing an honest decent bid is that
a.) eBay allows sniping automation tools [they are aware of it and expose the API (I think?), and it's not against the TOS]
and
b.) however I feel about it, I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. It seems that most serious eBayers use them, and while I don't consider myself an eBay expert or fanatic by any means, I really was sick of it happening.

PS I've been using a web app called "Gixen" for it, for the past year or two. Don't know much about others but it's free and straight-forward to use (copy/pasta the auction ID# and put in your desired max bid and it does the rest).

PPS(edit): I wasn't bidding on this item btw, just popped by to drop this comment and my $0.02 on sniping for anyone reading. :)
Just since the subject of sniping came up, I wanted to add my two cents...

An ideal auction is one that guarantees that the highest bidder will win, and they'll pay the correct price, meaning that they'll pay a price that captures the market rate in some fair way.
Ebay uses second-bid auctions, which is a great auction mechanism in theory - bidders make their bids, highest bidder wins, but only pays a single increment over the second-highest bid.
This means that for rational actors, the best strategy would be to always bid exactly as much as they value the item (make their first and only offer for as much as they're willing to pay), since they will pay only as much as others value that item.
The issue is that humans aren't rational, and they get emotionally invested in the specific auction and make our decisions based on sunk cost and FOMO.
This is intentionally made worse by eBay sending notifications whenever you're outbid and other tricks...

In my view, sniping actually fixes the flaws that come up when humans bid on eBay.
Just set a snipe for your one and only final price, then walk away - don't check up on the auction, don't change your snipe price, don't do anything.
It might be a lot less exciting and might not make sellers happy, but it's a lot more efficient and fair for everyone in the long run...