Memory boot issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

red_vette

Jul 13, 2019
I purchased a matched 16 set of Samsung M393B1G70QH0-CK0 8GB PC3-12800R memory off eBay. I have tried a couple different combinations of them in two SuperMicro servers. They have X9DRi-LN4F+ and X9DRi motherboards with two Xeons each.

I pulled the existing memory kits from each server, installed this new set and booted the servers. Both got stuck on boot sequence B7, which according to SuperMicro is a memory error. I have tried everything from all 16 sticks, down to the minimum 4 which is required for dual socket setups. Is it possible for an entire set of used ram to be bad, or is there something I need to do with the motherboard when swapping memory?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I think with Xeon E5's you can do 1 DIMM per socket. Maybe try that?

I'd also check the backside of the motherboards for shorts, but it's odd that you're seeing it on two motherboards.

red_vette

Jul 13, 2019
The SuperMicro manuals only show a configuration of 4 dimms for 2 cpu minimum. I also doubt it's shorts since the memory that came with each system works fine. I was wanting to go from the 64GB to the new 128GB set.