Is this the C2000 bug? SM A1SRi-2758F wont POST

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
So I just picked up this Supermicro A1SRi-2758F from eBay, with the intention to build a pfsense box out of it. I got the board, and it came with a single stick of Crucial 4GB DDR3-1600 ECC SODIMM memory. the board is labelled v1.00. It was claimed to have been pulled from a "working system".

I looked through the manual, noted that it's either or on the 24-pin or 4-pin, not both. plugged it in, and powered up, but no POST. also no beeps. also no VGA output whatsoever. even without memory installed, still no beeps. I would think with no mem, it would at least beep. but the BMC/IPMI light was flashing. also the system seemed to power cycle roughly every 5 mins if i left it on. I tried the stick in every slot, same results.

I cleared the CMOS, and on a whim, I checked my attached devices on my router to see if it popped up when connected to IPMI. I found it and was able to log into the IPMI page. things seemed to basically look ok there, I was even able to update the IPMI and BIOS to the latest versions. however, the board still will not boot and the symptoms remain the same.

Are these symptoms the same as the C2000 bug? should I return the board to the ebay seller or see if SM will fix it?

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
I have the same issues as yours and I believe it's the AVR54 bug. I sent it back to SM for repair without any issues.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
How did you setup the RMA? Did you call them? I’ve never done an RMA through SM before.

Are you under warranty? Or is SM fixing these out of good faith? I don’t think mine is under warranty.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
SM approved my RMA request. I submitted cross shipment.

Does this mean they will just ship me a board? or will they wait for me to send mine in? My experience with other vendors is that if I do a cross shipment or advanced RMA, I usually have to pay the cost upfront and will be refunded when they receive my defective part. but SM did not collect any payment info from me lol.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
Ah, So SM had me sign a Cross-Ship Agreement, then they sent me a PayPal invoice to my email address. I have no problem with this since I do indeed use PayPal and have it setup on the same email I was using to submit my RMA, but it just seems strange for SM (as a company) to do that without any prior knowledge of my payment abilities, or even knowing if I have PayPal or not.

but hey, they are overnighting me the replacement. Literally next day from CA to the east coast, so that's pretty awesome. I'd say they are handling these C2000 replacements really well. Not bad for picking it up on eBay for $150 shipped including the RAM it came with.