Mellanox Connect-X CX314A Cooling Dual 40GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xephael

Jun 4, 2019
Does anyone know how hot these run? The mounting points are 35mm apart, heatsink is 45mm.

Looks like the best way to actively cool them would be to screw in a low profile fan to the factory heat sink?

kapone

May 23, 2015
I have a slightly different version of the same card (Pro version) installed in a 3U case, with the stock heatsink and an 80mm fan installed "over" the PCI area using one of those "side blown GPU fan mount bracket" thingies. Works great and cools both the Adapter 71605 and the Mellanox (mget_temp shows 39C)

IMG_0377.jpg

Reactions: xephael and itronin

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Correct answer!

In a 3U/4U chassis where you cannot easily duct airflow just mount a side fan that blows onto the card. That is sufficient. You don't even need a fast spinning fan. I do the same in my Fractal Design Define case to cool a ConnectX-3 card.

I wish knew about the cooling requirements of these 10G nics when I bought them. Spent unnecessary time debugging issues with my setup.

Reactions: Rock and xephael

xephael

Jun 4, 2019
Correct answer!

In a 3U/4U chassis where you cannot easily duct airflow just mount a side fan that blows onto the card. That is sufficient. You don't even need a fast spinning fan. I do the same in my Fractal Design Define case to cool a ConnectX-3 card.

I wish knew about the cooling requirements of these 10G nics when I bought them. Spent unnecessary time debugging issues with my setup.
mget_temp was reading up to 82C on one of the cards. I mounted a 120mm fan above them and the temperature dropped to 52C (actually still dropping as I type this).

They definitely need active cooling.

intellilogic

Apr 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
This is a 25 Gbps ConnectX-5. The 100 Gbps one was overheating, didn't capture temps; replacing w/ 200 Gbps ConnectX-6. My plan is to water cool them. I had an Intel X710 T4 that hit 270F. The newer cards (like my 25g one) are much better at running cooler.

Attachments

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
It depends on the transceivers.
I remember certain QSFP optics having a power consumption of up to 17W.
With two of those, you will surpass the cooling needed by the chip.
Have tested Dell Q28 100G CWDM4 transceivers for friend recently and those got seriously hot in my desktop.
Even with a fan giving it some airflow.
Didn't turn the Noc PPC up to 2K RPM and didn't have a air duct / guide but when you plan on watercooling and going 200G, you should cool the transceivers as well.