Do I really need the plastic carrier for a e5-26xx

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mike ingle

Aug 10, 2019
Hi all,
I am trying to finish populating the processors and memory for an HP7000 blade server, I populated 8 of the blades with used e5-2670V1 processors which came with the plastic carriers and have had no problems. I am interested in populating the last 8 blades, but the used processors I am finding on german e-bay no longer seem to come with the frames. Do you think it is OK to try to install processors without the frames? I have a 3d printer, so printing frames could be an option. -- mike

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I an not quite sure what type of plastic carrier you mean. These CPUs usually don't require any additional mounting material. Could you post a picture?

mike ingle

Aug 10, 2019
Hi Alex, thanks for your quick reply, i have attached an image from a posting on e-bay. My first 8 blades were built using processors mounted like this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tha_14

Server Newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Hi all,
I am trying to finish populating the processors and memory for an HP7000 blade server, I populated 8 of the blades with used e5-2670V1 processors which came with the plastic carriers and have had no problems. I am interested in populating the last 8 blades, but the used processors I am finding on german e-bay no longer seem to come with the frames. Do you think it is OK to try to install processors without the frames? I have a 3d printer, so printing frames could be an option. -- mike
On all the threads I read everyone says to just peel it off and that the adhesive is not strong so you can remove the plastic tab easily.

mike ingle

Aug 10, 2019
On all the threads I read everyone says to just peel it off and that the adhesive is not strong so you can remove the plastic tab easily.
Hi Thanks, I have the opposite problem. I am installing these in HP servers (I have installed 16 so far), and the CPU socket is set up to use the plastic frame. I am wondering if it is safe to buy CPUs without the plastic frame, and install them? That means laying the CPU directly into the socket, instead of sliding it into the holder. Any thoughts? -- mike

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
It is safe to install the processor directly into the socket. I've done this many times on assorted Proliant equipment.

Reactions: Tha_14