Looking for help to identify this server (RACKABLE SYSTEMS)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jack Berry

Aug 8, 2019
I’ve been looking for a JBOD server and come across this “RACKABLE SYSTEMS” and not much in the description. So I messaged and asked for more information and got this back as a reply

it is a dual processor intel xeon SL73L 2.4GHz server, with 2 x 3ware SATA RAID controllers with battery backup and 3GB total RAM. It also has 3 power supplies for redundancy, It also has a cd drive and floppy drive on the rear and It is also only a 32bit machine

From the CPU being an old Xeon SL73L and what the machine looks like. I’ve tried to google and image search but had no luck. I’ve signed up to this form in hopes for some help in identifying:)

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
It won't let me upload any photo's?!

And I know, But I want it for a JBOD
you really don't.
How many/size drives you want?
2.5"? get a netapp ds2246, 24x2.5" sas-2/sata
Need a QSFP connection on the netapp controller.
12x3.5"?
This is a steal at $70 shipped if it has the trays
Dell Xyratex Compellent HB-1235 - 12 Bay Array NO DRIVES SPARES UNIT ONLY! | eBay
For 24x drives, look for a netapp ds4243 or 4246.
There are a multitude of other, similar units out there too.

Jack Berry

Aug 8, 2019
what do you think about this? i am not the seller, but not that bad for that price.

the original sgi sas expander has 3gbps speed. this unit has 6gbps speed

SGI Rackable 3U 16 Bay SE3016 SAS Expander with 2 SAS Cables RAID | eBay

it says it has mainboard and cpu, but it doesn't. this is just jbod case with psu, sas expander
The one I'm looking at looks simular to this, I havent been able find a picture online to one that looks the same, So its confusing. I'm getting this server for £30 so I think it's a cracking deal and could be sold for much more If I don't or can't use it

Jack Berry

Aug 8, 2019
can you upload your pictures to imgur and post the link here?

and how many hdd/ssd trays do you need to have?

where are you located? USA or Europe?
Good idea, I've done it on google drive,
IMG_5514.PNG

IMG_5515.PNG

I'm just looking for a JBOD to put a load of HDD's in for different thins, I dont need speed. But I would like be able hook it up to my other server with QSFP if possible, If not then just do it over network

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i have seen those 2 pictures.

this unit is going to be noisy. if noise (because of 3 psu's) is not a problem for you, you can use it as jbod case, after building a sas expander in it.

your steps globally:

- take out mainboard, cpu, ram memory and psu's
- put sas expander in it (intel, adaptec or chenbro. dont use hp sas expander because for powering hp sas expander you need pci-e slot which you dont have after ripping the unit)
- put simple atx psu in it and short connect 2 pins (search on internet how to do this) of 24pin atx connector so that you can start your unit without motherboard

- or you can buy this on ebay

https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-cse-ptjbod-cb1-jbod-power-board-diy-jbod-chassis-made-easy/

or cb2 power board

Jack Berry

Aug 8, 2019
i have seen those 2 pictures.

this unit is going to be noisy. if noise (because of 3 psu's) is not a problem for you, you can use it as jbod case, after building a sas expander in it.

your steps globally:

- take out mainboard, cpu, ram memory and psu's
- put sas expander in it (intel, adaptec or chenbro. dont use hp sas expander because for powering hp sas expander you need pci-e slot which you dont have after ripping the unit)
- put simple atx psu in it and short connect 2 pins (search on internet how to do this) of 24pin atx connector so that you can start your unit without motherboard

- or you can buy this on ebay

https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-cse-ptjbod-cb1-jbod-power-board-diy-jbod-chassis-made-easy/

or cb2 power board
Thanks! This as helped me loads. I do mind the noise so stripping it and using just the case would be perfectly fine for me as the Xeon in there is old and sh*t, and for only £30 UK it’s a bargain for something that can hold 16 HDD’s. But let’s hope it’s something I can work with, if not then it will be sold easily I would have thought

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
can you post inside pictures? particulaly how psu is connected to mainboard.

can you start the system and put a 3tb or bigger hard disk in it?

this way you can verify that this unit supports hard disk bigger than 2tb.

- intall windows 10 on the unit
- put 3 tb hdd, format it as gpt-partition disk (no mbr-partition. mbr partition is not going further than 2tb.)
- if you can see 1 big partition of 3tb or more, than is the backplane of the unit also supporting 14tb disks

just try it

Jack Berry

Aug 8, 2019
can you post inside pictures? particulaly how psu is connected to mainboard.

can you start the system and put a 3tb or bigger hard disk in it?

this way you can verify that this unit supports hard disk bigger than 2tb.

- intall windows 10 on the unit
- put 3 tb hdd, format it as gpt-partition disk (no mbr-partition. mbr partition is not going further than 2tb.)
- if you can see 1 big partition of 3tb or more, than is the backplane of the unit also supporting 14tb disks

just try it

I wish I could. But I saw this system for sale online so I can’t yet test to find this out or see what system it is. Alls I know is that it works and only got the pictures provided.

I’ll ask for some more and hopefully inside pictures as well as this would be useful to knowing motherboard manufacturer if it’s 1st party or 3rd party made and what I have for expansion. I should imagine it had PCI. But due to it being a 2004 Xeon I would say it won’t be a pretty sight

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
you should ask the seller to put 3tb hdd in it, format the hdd in gpt-partition (guid partition table) and see if windows 10 shows 1 big partition of 3tb.

if yes, than you can buy it. if windows 10 sees 2tb, then the system doesn't support hdd bigger that 2tb. this is a important point to count with it because of very old oage of hardware ( = backplane).
this point ( support for bigger then 2tb hdd) has nothing to do with motherboard, cpu or ram memory. it is only backplane issue.

the seller can also try with windows 7.

does windows 7 x64 support MBR & GPT both partition types

ignore the part of booting windows from gpt-disk. you dont need that

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
you can rip everything what is on motherboard, cpu + coolers, ram memory, all add-on cards.

the psu inside the unit has 20pin atx connector on motherboard. this 20pin connector will work with cb1 or cb2 power board of supermicro.

just leave inside the case swappable fans. and psu's if they are not so noisy. otherwise swap those psu's with simple atx psu.

but your first step is:

- ask the seller to verify that the backplane supports 3tb and bigger hdd. maybe even better ask as a prove schreenshots made with the smartphone to show you the support of 3tb hdd

Jack Berry

Aug 8, 2019
you can rip everything what is on motherboard, cpu + coolers, ram memory, all add-on cards.

the psu inside the unit has 20pin atx connector on motherboard. this 20pin connector will work with cb1 or cb2 power board of supermicro.

just leave inside the case swappable fans. and psu's if they are not so noisy. otherwise swap those psu's with simple atx psu.

but your first step is:

- ask the seller to verify that the backplane supports 3tb and bigger hdd. maybe even better ask as a prove schreenshots made with the smartphone to show you the support of 3tb hdd
I don’t think the seller has any 3TB drives and I don’t either. I have 2TB drives so would this not be an issue for me? As it will be filled with 1 and 2TB drives I have the only one I have bigger is a 4TB in my gaming PC I could try I guess. But it’s just the speed it runs at I’m thinking could be an issue as wouldn’t it be sata 1? Sata 2 is fine for me as HDD’s don’t get to use that much speed

I think this will be a fun project and I can’t wait :)

Jack Berry

Aug 8, 2019
good luck with your project.

and please, share your progres here with us
After reviwing the pictures again and looking at the RAID controller I can confirm its a max of 2TB at the controllers, I'm guessing I can use more bigger HDD's with a new PCI RAID card, But again 2TB should be the max I'll need for now

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
not only RAID-controller is important in this case.

also the backplane. backplane is the piece of hardware where hdd/sdd is connected to. then you connect backplane to your RAID.

if your backplane is limited to 2tb, then your raid-card cann't do more, meaning your raid-card will also show 2tb.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
you really don't.
How many/size drives you want?
2.5"? get a netapp ds2246, 24x2.5" sas-2/sata
Need a QSFP connection on the netapp controller.
12x3.5"?
This is a steal at $70 shipped if it has the trays
Dell Xyratex Compellent HB-1235 - 12 Bay Array NO DRIVES SPARES UNIT ONLY! | eBay
For 24x drives, look for a netapp ds4243 or 4246.
There are a multitude of other, similar units out there too.
Out of curiosity, I did ask the seller. That listing doesn't include the caddies, but he has many other same shelves prefilled with 450gb SAS drives in caddies for not much more $. Shipping is higher though due to extra weight.