Need help to decide on budget storage expansion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Works great. Not having a VGA out is kind of tricky though. BIOS setup is not a problem - it is redirected to a serial port. For the OS install I just pulled the SSD DOM, put it into another PC, installed OS (I think I used Ubuntu but I do not see why anything else wouldn't work as well) and put it back - done.

The best part - you only need one per NAS. So if you get a deal on an enclosure with 2 controllers - you could build 2 systems. Just add another SBB enclosure. DS4243 would work just fine.
Saw a BMC on the pics you shared. Is there IPMI functionality on these boards?

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Saw a BMC on the pics you shared. Is there IPMI functionality on these boards?
It has AST2300 with AMI Megarac SP. I could not figure the password for the Web UI. But it lets you in over telnet with the default sysadmin:superuser credentials.

Reactions: zack$

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Sorry for being edgy, but what about just an old PC as a storage?;)
If you read carefully this thread you'll get your answer, at least for me going with off eBay SAS shelf was A HUGE time and moderate money savings move. Yes, these enterprise shelves are loud, but this isn't a concern for my setup.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
If you read carefully this thread you'll get your answer
I got such a reddit* vibe from that question - I cringed.

*) Reddit = bunch of entitled lazy kids unwilling to read any existing answers and expecting their own question to be answered personally even though it had been asked a million times before.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I got such a reddit* vibe from that question - I cringed.

*) Reddit = bunch of entitled lazy kids unwilling to read any existing answers and expecting their own question to be answered personally even though it had been asked a million times before.
My Reddit age is over 6y and I have over 66k karma :) - yes, I've seen some shit

Reactions: TS440

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
To avoid completely hi-jacking @BoredSysadmin's new thread I am going to reply here - in his 20-month old thread instead...
Oh yeah, i forgot! I was under the impression that some of these controllers used an odd SAS controller, is that maybe an older version?
The 5xxx/7xxx series controllers had ROMless version of PM8001 - the driver was responsible for loading firmware. So the OS support was let's say limited. For the two 7000 units I had I ended up removing all connectors but power altogether. This way I could just power it up from a chassis already being controlled by another 8000 unit without messing it up. It was like a mini blade server - 2 independent systems in the same 2U chassis. 8000 controlling the backplane/storage and 7000 running pfsense. There was no actual reason to do that - the 8000 could have run pfsense in a VM. But I thought it was cool.

Last edited:

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
To avoid completely hi-jacking @BoredSysadmin's new thread I am going to reply here - in his 20-month old thread instead...

The 5xxx/7xxx series controllers had ROMless version of PM8001 - the driver was responsible for loading firmware. So the OS support was let's say limited. For the two 7000 units I had I ended up removing all connectors but power altogether. This way I could just power it up from a chassis already being controlled by another 8000 unit without messing it up. It was like a mini blade server - 2 independent systems in the same 2U chassis. 8000 controlling the backplane/storage and 7000 running pfsense. There was no actual reason to do that - the 8000 could have run pfsense in a VM. But I thought it was cool.
So the 8k series is a E5v2, decent ram, and 2308, plus cx-3with the only challenge being getting os installed. very interesting to keep in mind...I'm tempted to grab one and see if it works in my ds2246.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
So the 8k series is a E5v2
Unfortunately not a 100% guarantee - some earlier revisions had v1 CPUs. Also in my (albeit very limited) testing the only unit I tried did not work in a DS2246. I was going to revisit the issue but I don't have any DS2246 anymore.