It's finally happenening! 40Gb mikrotik gear

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Mikrotik is finally listing one of their 40gig switches on their website the 24+2 SFP+ and QSFP combo model, taking a look at it I wish these were available when I had to order data switches although i'm suprised to see a lower license level and memory included compared to the 10gig only CRS317(not sure why is this a difference in architecture or an attempt to make the CCR's more distinct from the CRS products)
MikroTik

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Mikrotik is finally listing one of their 40gig switches on their website the 24+2 SFP+ and QSFP combo model, taking a look at it I wish these were available when I had to order data switches although i'm suprised to see a lower license level and memory included compared to the 10gig only CRS317(not sure why is this a difference in architecture or an attempt to make the CCR's more distinct from the CRS products)
MikroTik
Wow $499 suggested retail price for that thing? That seems like a great price range given the amount of high speed ports. Dual power inputs is a welcomed addition.

Wonder how loud these things are.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Wow $499 suggested retail price for that thing? That seems like a great price range given the amount of high speed ports. Dual power inputs is a welcomed addition.

Wonder how loud these things are.
Not just suggested but apparently the actual street price isn't going to be much higher, the first place I found it listed(more to come shortly i'm sure) has it for about 550USD
CRS326-24S+2Q+RM

Probably louder than the 317(that heatsink...) but not as loud as the 312 since it's all SFP

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Pretty impressive for the price. Also, at 69w max, easily the lowest power switch with 24 10gbe ports that I’ve ever seen.

I wonder more about the buffer depth than I do the noise. It’s likely that they skimped here to hit that price and power - and if they did skimp on the buffers then it will suffer from microburst packet loss if it gets busy - and lots of drops on flows between the 40gig links and 10gbe. But impressive none the less.

Reactions: mmo and Evan

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Great, I was beginning to think they were vaporware.

I can't help but again be annoyed by their naming conventions, now we have two CRS326's (like there are already two CRS328 models).
The full model name is just too long to use in a normal discussion.

Anyway, I can't find any information on the switch chip (98DX3232), I can't help but think that the block diagram may be incorrect or something.
Perhaps it's a 98DX83XX chip, according to some the Marvell information, at least it has the capacity for 40g, I am also not seeing any information about an ARM CPU in that series, which I suppose could explain their use of the cheapo QCA SoC.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Pretty impressive for the price. Also, at 69w max, easily the lowest power switch with 24 10gbe ports that I’ve ever seen.

I wonder more about the buffer depth than I do the noise. It’s likely that they skimped here to hit that price and power - and if they did skimp on the buffers then it will suffer from microburst packet loss if it gets busy - and lots of drops on flows between the 40gig links and 10gbe. But impressive none the less.
Very good point. My Cisco SG350XG suffered from this between 10Gb and 1Gb links. So much so I had to get rid of it.

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Only 16MB of flash.. I would wonder when you get into the same upgrade problems as they already have with there Access Points where people are complaining about problems upgrading.

The device has only a single 650Mhz MIPSBE core, so running additional functionality on the switch will probably be painfull if not impossible.
Did you notice that the management port is only 100Mb?

Given the processor/ memory limitations a higher license level does not seem appropriate :). Don't expect more than a strict layer 2 switch.

Buffering problems may indeed show up: they already have/ had such problems on other switches interworking between 10Gb and 1 Gb.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
the CRS317-1G-16S+RM had performance issues using L-3 functions running RouterOS. I wonder if this is going to be similar?

elag

Dec 1, 2018
the CRS317-1G-16S+RM had performance issues using L-3 functions running RouterOS. I wonder if this is going to be similar?
This one is not meant to do any L3, look a the test results. Mikrotik does not even mention any ethernet/bridging performance figures.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
This one is not meant to do any L3, look a the test results. Mikrotik does not even mention any ethernet/bridging performance figures.
That's an interesting point about the lack of bridging results, I wonder if this means we'll see a 40gb capable CCR or a more L3 capable CRS device soon.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
So its Nice, and the Price is spot on like the rest of their stuff. But then again.. why even bother with 40gig? I mean.. they could have added 2x 25/50/100g uplinks. Would have suited 24x 10g better imo.. and the Price on 100g has been dropping for a while

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
So its Nice, and the Price is spot on like the rest of their stuff. But then again.. why even bother with 40gig? I mean.. they could have added 2x 25/50/100g uplinks. Would have suited 24x 10g better imo.. and the Price on 100g has been dropping for a while
Pricing on 100gb is good but it's still not "affordable" for what I'd wager is mikrotik's biggest customers
I work at a smallish buisness and 10 and 40gb networking is something we can afford thanks to connectx-3 cards being under 100usd on ebay.

I've got two CRS317's inside my hyper-v clusters(two replicating to eachother) and that was something like 20k(it wasn't all done at once) worth of hardware and software when the clusters were built out, even that was all used though(4 dell R620's 1 720XD and 1RD650 that predated the rebuild) with the biggest portion of the budget being ssd's. I'd have used the 326 instead of the 317 to move the storage servers to 40gb and kept the nodes on 10gig without a huge impact on our final budget(sub 20 per nic and another hundred per switch), 100gb cards would have been a 7x increase in price over 40gb in that scenario(450 vs about 65 taking a quick look) and that's all ignoring differences in transceiver/fiber/dac pricing

TLDR 100gb is coming down but isn't where the little guy who mikrotik seems to target can buy it yet, 40gb is just a small jump compared to 10gb though

elag

Dec 1, 2018
I hope you have more luck with this switch than I had with my CRS317 that had port flapping on the port to my CRS328 (and not on the ports connected to servers).... Sent it for repair and got told that it had to be sent back to Latvia as new switches would show the same problem. That suggests that Mikrotik is knowingly selling defective equipment. Repair time was estimated to 6-8 weeks. Even after 8 weeks I am still waiting for a repaired unit.....

elag

Dec 1, 2018
Ever get your CRS317 back? Was it repaired?
Repair was supposed to take 6 - 8 weeks as the switch had to be sent back to Latvia. That is already pretty long.
Only when the shop I bought the switch from started asking questions after that time, Mikrotik answered that the switch was waiting for parts. That was a month ago. So I am still waiting for the switch to be repaired and returned.

The shop gave me a new CRS317 switch to try if that is better, but that has the same problems with link flapping connected to a CRS328. The link now actually flaps 5 - 8 times a day.

So I am still waiting for a properly working switch.

My network mostly works but my network monitoring reports loosing connection to the CRS328 at least once a day. It is strange that the problem. The CRS317 works great except when it is connected to their own CRS328, go figure

Mikrotik states that the problem is with the CRS317, so I can only wait for them to repair my switch.

Reactions: JustinClift