SM board X10SRi-F boot from SSD M2 on adapter Pci-E 3.0 X16

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Khampol

Jul 30, 2019
Hello,

I plan to use on my SuperMicro MB an adapter Pci-E 3.0 X16 Expansion for a SSD M2 and use this M2 SSD as Boot Esxi.
Would be great if someone already experienced that and share if ok or not.

K.

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Hello,

I plan to use on my SuperMicro MB an adapter Pci-E 3.0 X16 Expansion for a SSD M2 and use this M2 SSD as Boot Esxi.
Would be great if someone already experienced that and share if ok or not.

K.

Have a couple of theses boards, but haven't tried it. Just using a thumb drive in each to the onboard usb port for esxi.

Reactions: Netwerkz101

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Have a couple of theses boards, but haven't tried it. Just using a thumb drive in each to the onboard usb port for esxi.
Me too!
Don't want to give up precious NVME space (or a PCIe slot) just for vSphere booting.

That said ... to the OPs question ... it should work - I too have not tried vSphere specifically.
Works for Windows though - showed up as "Windows Boot Manager (P1: PCIe SSD)".

If you are simply wanting to boot ESXI, USB drive is cheap/simple.
@OP - Or did you have another use case in mind?

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Riser Card??
If you run a 1u server ... yes.
The card mentioned is "low profile" so 2U or greater allows it to stand up in the slot.

Khampol

Jul 30, 2019
If you are simply wanting to boot ESXI, USB drive is cheap/simple.
Yep, this board have an internal USB jack. But using USB thumb to boot a server (plus : host in a datacenter!) is not risky ?? And what kind (brand/model) could be use for it ?

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Yep, this board have an internal USB jack. But using USB thumb to boot a server (plus : host in a datacenter!) is not risky ?? And what kind (brand/model) could be use for it ?
It's not as good as say raid 1 ssd's but it's considered acceptable for things like ESXi especially if you have multiple hosts. It is suggested to use a quality usb drive instead of a no name drive like the type handed out as promotional items, there might be a thread with specific model recommendations here. Some companies even make usb devices with SLC nand still specifically for applications like this.

Khampol

Jul 30, 2019
Oh... I see. As told earlier I plan to boot with a SSD M.2 and already order a Supermicro card for it.
But still, I never hear about "usb devices with SLC nand". I ll take a look what it is about. ;)