LSI SAS9207-8e not recognized by my Windows system

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Hi everyone,
I recently received an LSI SAS9207-8e from ebay and installed it into my PC (windows 10, v.1903).
The card does not seem to be even recognized by the system. In device manager -> storage controllers it does not appear at all.
- the card is getting (very) hot, so it is being powered
- I moved it to a different PCIe port but nothing changed
-
Does this mean that there is something wrong with the card? Or is there something more I could try?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Is it listing in the POST prior to OS boot?
what model exactly is the card?
do you have another system you can try it in?

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
It is not

what model exactly is the card?
It is an LSI SAS9207-8e 8-Port External Host Bus Adapter . Is there a way to be more specific? Are there some subcategories I am not aware of?

do you have another system you can try it in?
I am currently away but I am downloading a live linux distro. I will google for the appropriate commands...

Last edited:

kapone

May 23, 2015
If that Ebay link that you linked to, is where you bought the card from...there's a high probability that it's counterfeit.

Your card:
s-l1600-12.jpg

A real one:
s-l1600-13.jpg

Your card:
s-l1600-14.jpg

A real one:
s-l1600-15.jpg

There's enough subtle differences that tell me that the card is probably counterfeit. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not gonna work as advertised, but you should know what you're buying and if things don't work, your potential options.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
If that Ebay link that you linked to, is where you bought the card from...there's a high probability that it's counterfeit..
There's enough subtle differences that tell me that the card is probably counterfeit. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not gonna work as advertised, but you should know what you're buying and if things don't work, your potential options.
I am probably not as experienced as you are, but I have seen cards with subtle differences that are just from different lots or factories. I have bought a few cards from china/HK ebay and never had a problem, especially from a well reviewed seller. But maybe it was long due...

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
It is not

It is an LSI SAS9207-8e 8-Port External Host Bus Adapter . Is there a way to be more specific? Are there some subcategories I am not aware of?

I am currently away but I am downloading a live linux distro. I will google for the appropriate commands...
Just wanted to known if it was a IBM/HP/Dell rebranded.

The card you bought is supposedly in IT-mode passing through to the OS, since it’s not giving you the SAS configuration in post it either doesn’t have the bios rom installed (which is fine) or is bad/dead.

Do you have any drives hooked up to it or were you just trying to see the card in devices first?

That would be my first step add some drives and see if they popup in the OS.
Second would be try a linux distro or make an unraid/freenas boot drive to try.
Third make a dos boot flash with megacli.exe and see if it sees the card at all. (If this fails the cards bad/dead)

Code:
megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I recently bought an LSI 9201-16i that I feel pretty sure is counterfeit. It works as advertised and the price was great so no big deal. I'd be concerned if it was being used in a critical application but its not.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Just wanted to known if it was a IBM/HP/Dell rebranded.

The card you bought is supposedly in IT-mode passing through to the OS, since it’s not giving you the SAS configuration in post it either doesn’t have the bios rom installed (which is fine) or is bad/dead.

Do you have any drives hooked up to it or were you just trying to see the card in devices first?

That would be my first step add some drives and see if they popup in the OS.
Second would be try a linux distro or make an unraid/freenas boot drive to try.
Third make a dos boot flash with megacli.exe and see if it sees the card at all. (If this fails the cards bad/dead)

Code:
megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll
I had a drive hooked up to it but I am using stuff that I recently bought and have not tested (and I unfortunately have no alternatives). More particularly I was using this setup:
PSU -> HDD -> Sata Cable to SAS -> Norco C-8087-8088F -> 8088 to 8088 -> HBA
so, there are many points of possible fault. That is why I am trying to firstly find out if the HBA is recognized.

So I tried a live linux distro but, at least using the commands I managed to find by googling, I didn't manage to see the card.

I will next try the dos boot flash with megacli.exe and get back

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
So, I booted into dos and I got the following (trying 2 PCIe ports):

LSIs.jpg

I guess the card is dead...

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
It would seemso, if you can try reseating, and/or in different hardware that would do a final rule-out of the card not being the issue.

itsme

Jun 8, 2019
Thanks everyone for their input,
I appreciate everyone spending their time to offer their help.

i managed to try the card on a different machine and still got no results, so I guess it can declare it dead.