network bonder

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Max powell

Aug 2, 2019
hi i'm new,
i'm looking for a way to bond two different isp's connections, that i already have in my house ad use a more powerfull unique one.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Please provide additional info on what you are planning to do; bonding 2 different internet carrier is not impossible, however most method normally require some 3rd party services to subscribe.
Another options you can try to see if Dual WAN routers meets your requirements.

Last edited:

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
Generally, this is going to be more trouble than it's worth if all you're looking for is speed. You're not going to be able to load-balance individual downloads (or uploads, mostly) across the two links; the best you'll be able to do is have some sort of rule that says things like "traffic to network X goes out link A" or "traffic from WiFi device Y goes out link B".

Now, if you have a ton of small connections (say, a business with hundreds of users) then this may actually speed things up. Especially if the two links are similar speeds and can't be upgraded any more. But for normal residential or tiny-business uses, it's just going to make things more complex. You'd be better off with one fast link vs two slower links.

If your connection is especially flaky (or the cost of outages is especially high), then having redundant links and failing over when one is down can be useful, but it adds complexity, and if you don't know what you're doing, you'll probably just end up with a mess that's less reliable than a simple single-upstream network.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Link failover is easy, load balancing not really that easy, you can always send specific traffic out to a specific ISP.

Of course if you have a router with enough ram to hold the required bgp tables, your own AS number, and 2 ISP connections that support you can do your own routing ;)

mb300sd

Aug 1, 2016
A trick I used to use a long time ago was to get a VPS and bond 2 tunnel interfaces (1 over each ISP), and get a second IP on the VPS to route through the tunnels. I paid for a second cable subscription at my friend's apartment, and took the modem to mine. I think the bonding trick will only work properly if the 2 links have the same speed and latency. Probably only worth it if you can't get a faster single link. I did it because the max upload offered was only 5 or 10mb.