Wiring power for c6220

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
The server has 2 1400w psu’s and the ups is rated at 900w, so that might not work depending on the actual load. I bought a new sub panel and I’ll be installing new dedicated breakers for it since my box is filled up.

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
The wiring generally looks okay, but I'd do it slightly differently if I was doing it for myself. Mostly, this depends on how much work pulling the wire is--if the new plugs are right next to the panel, then what you have is fine. If you need to pull wire any distance, though, then I'd put a bit more planning into it. Why spend time and money on a project and then wish you'd done it differently a month down the line?

First, I'd pull a neutral wire (so 12-3 instead of 12-2) just in case you have a need for it in the future. I'd probably do that in any case, just so there's a red wire in the bundle--if you're buying wire the cost difference should be minimal. Generally, you could use the white wire and wrap the end with red tape to make the NEC happy, but why bother when doing it right is easy?

Second, I'd probably pull 10 gauge wire and go for 30A power, so that I have room for larger hardware at some point in the future, but that probably depends on how far you need to pull it. 10 gauge wire is a bit more of a pain to work with (it's heavier and stiffer than 12 AWG), but not *too* bad.

I also prefer twist-lock plugs--L6s for 3-wire 240V or L14s for 4-wire 240V. Mostly, though, just match what your equipment wants.

Reactions: Subpacket

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
It's on the other side of hte basement, so it's not far or hard. The UPS and server doesn't have any plugs, just standard 3 prong out. I wired the server room, so it's not a foreign concept to me. the rack has 2 20a breakers dedicated to it. It's just my first time wiring for 220v, I wanted to make sure that datacenters aren't using some sort of voltage multiplier to put 220v over 1 wire instead of 2.