Fans not ramping down on SuperMicro X10DRi-T

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm having a problem where the fans attached to my X10DRi-T motherboard will not ramp down once they ramp up. Whether I set the fan mode to Standard or Optimal, once they fans ramp up I have to change them to the fan mode to one or the other for the fans to ramp back down to normal. I have changed the lower thresholds since I'm using Noctua fans in my case but the fans are not coming anywhere near those low thresholds so it's not the issue where the fan speeds are getting critically low and then starting the cycle of ramp up and ramp down.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Anything in the bios event logs? Do you have all the fan headers populated on the motherboard? Maybe it thinks one of the fans are down if one port isnt connected?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Anything in the bios event logs? Do you have all the fan headers populated on the motherboard? Maybe it thinks one of the fans are down if one port isnt connected?
One fan header is not populated. I do have a few weird entries but they are from 4-5 days ago and it's continuing to do it well past those days.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Seems like that might be a standard warning on boot up.
Some other general FAQs on SM website seem to mention updating the IPMI bios- are you running the latest?

Question
Why does IPMI System Event Log have warning messages occurred when AC resource recycle?

when AC cycle at first time then access BIOS utility, you might found the IPMI event about

Fan issue as below event,
Fan2 Lower Non-critical going low
Lower critical going low
Lower Non-recoverable going low
Answer
When boot up system at first time,the IPMI card will check all Fan devices on motherboard,

if IPMI card detected Fan doesn't work or unplug, then you will find the going low message in IPMI event log ,
For example :
The X7DVL-E M/B have totally 6 Fan (Fan1 to Fan6), when I only connect the CPU Fan to Fan1,

the IPMI card will detect Fan2 to Fan6 have going low state once AC cycle, so you will see the IPMI

event log have those kind of message, these are normal situation when IPMI card doesn't detect Fan working

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
looking over the manual -
do you have PWM fans installed? (assuming yes)
Can you install led on Overheat (OH)/Fan Fail/PWR Fail/UID LED pins to see if a OH is triggering the fans?
do you have a PSU with Power System Management Bus (I2C) Connector (JPI2C1)?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Could you try setting the threshold lower and rebooting the BMC?

Noctua fans do go below 300 RPM. This is the threshold I use for Noctua Fans.

Code:
ipmitool sensor thresh FAN3 lower 150 200 250

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Could you try setting the threshold lower and rebooting the BMC?

Noctua fans do go below 300 RPM. This is the threshold I use for Noctua Fans.

Code:
ipmitool sensor thresh FAN3 lower 150 200 250
But even if they were going that low, that would cause the fans to ramp up and down over and over. I've had that issue in the past. This issue is that the fans get ramped up due to raising CPU temps, and then never ramp back down until I change the fan mode.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I've had similar issues where once the lower threshold is hit, even when the fans ramp back up the bmc keeps cycling the fan speeds or keeps running them at full tilt. It settles down after rebooting the BMC.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Also I just realized that you are using Unraid. So probably the IPMI plugin to manage the fan speeds.

I don't recall the details exactly but a while back,I ran into an issue where if the actual temperature is much lower than the threshold you have set in the IPMI plugin settings, the fans run at full tilt.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Also I just realized that you are using Unraid. So probably the IPMI plugin to manage the fan speeds.

I don't recall the details exactly but a while back,I ran into an issue where if the actual temperature is much lower than the threshold you have set in the IPMI plugin settings, the fans run at full tilt.
I'm not using the IPMITool in Unraid to manage the speeds. But i will try lowering the thresholds some and see if that helps.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@K D It turned out it was ipmitool in Unraid. I just needed to toggle it on and back off again and now I'm back to normal again.

ChappyEight

Nov 8, 2019
I'm having a heck of a time with a build I just completed. Have a SuperMicro X10 and the fans are constantly surging. Spartacus, once you enabled ipmitool in NerdPack where do you go/how do you set fan thresholds?