Supermicro X11SCH-F hangs a t boot, code 2F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jjletho

Feb 12, 2019
Hi,
I have just assembled a Supermicro X11SCH-F with a Xeon E-2126G and two sticks of Kingston 16 gb ddr4 (KSM26ED8/16ME).
The motherboard very often, but not always, hangs at boot. The message shown on the screen is "PEI--Intel MRC Execution... 2F"

This code is often related to memory problems, so i did several test in that direction: moved dimm in different position, booted with only one dimm, etc. conclusion was that the problem occour less frecuency with only one dimm, but never disappear completely. In the occasion in which the system booted correctly I also ran succesfully several memtest.

I contacted both Kingston and Supermicro.
Kingston says dimm should be compatible, but they never tested in lab. Supermicro says only dimm on their compatibility list are certified, but their compatibility list is ridiculously short!

Do you have any suggestion? Any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
I have the same code on my C3758 supermicro board.

Only when I do a cold bopt after disconnecting power this code hangs for a while.
The more ram I put in there the longer it hangs, I have to wait 15 minutes for it to boot with 64gb.
I have not had any cases where it wouldn't boot at all, it just takes a while.

Kev

Feb 16, 2015
Same experience. If you change memory config, it will take that long to boot and then next boot is fast.

jjletho

Feb 12, 2019
Hi,
thank you for your reply.

I have the same code on my C3758 supermicro board.

Only when I do a cold bopt after disconnecting power this code hangs for a while.
The more ram I put in there the longer it hangs, I have to wait 15 minutes for it to boot with 64gb.
I have not had any cases where it wouldn't boot at all, it just takes a while.
Same experience. If you change memory config, it will take that long to boot and then next boot is fast.
In my case when it boots correctly it needs 2/3 minutes, no more.
The first boot after having just assembled the computer, I waited for about 40 minutes then i turned off.
Disconnecting power cord does not make any differences in my case, but I'll do some more tests to see if there is correlation between disconnecting power or changing dimm configuration/position and the boot hang. I'll also try to wait longer

how about a bios update? Is the latest version installed ?
The Mb is quite new, there aren't any new bios available.

Thank you

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
Do you perhaps have any other ram you could try in the system?
I don't think the compatibility should be too much of an issue, I personally used a lot of different ram setups in supermicro motherboards without any issues so far.

Are there any bios settings that have to do with your ram?
I had a boot issue with optane on my SM mb wich got fixed by a bios setting , it's a long shot but maybe fiddle around with some of the settings.

jjletho

Feb 12, 2019
Hi,
I still cannot use this motherboard! I tested it with supermicro certified memory, and the problem was still there. After this i convinced them to accept an RMA but they gave it me back with an updated bios (1.0a) saying everything was ok.

I tested the MB again, this time it hangs only with M.2 disks installed. I'm using samsung 970 pro, i tested two identical disks so i can exclude a defective disk.
What do you suggest? There are some magic bios options should I set? Anyone of you is using this MB with M.2 disks?
Thanks again

mbosma

Dec 4, 2018
Hi,
What do you suggest? There are some magic bios options should I set? Anyone of you is using this MB with M.2 disks?
Thanks again
Did you try setting the NVME firmware source and PCH Slot X OPROM?
I believe my system started working after I set the firmware source to AMI Native Support and OPROM to EFI.
I'm not exactly sure but my system was able to boot after changing these two settings in BIOS.

In my case I'm using a m.2 optane and an optane 900p, problems started after installing the 900p while the m.2 optane worked without issues.

intelligence

Jul 12, 2020
Hi,
I still cannot use this motherboard! I tested it with supermicro certified memory, and the problem was still there. After this i convinced them to accept an RMA but they gave it me back with an updated bios (1.0a) saying everything was ok.

I tested the MB again, this time it hangs only with M.2 disks installed. I'm using samsung 970 pro, i tested two identical disks so i can exclude a defective disk.
Thanks again
Were you able to solve this? Just got some new parts, including a X11SCH-F. I get the same 2F message. I have two samsung 32GB sticks, tried them in pair and one by one, no dice.

Removed my M.2 drive and all drives, no dice.

Updated bios to latest version (from 1.1 to 1.4), no dice.

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Were you able to solve this? Just got some new parts, including a X11SCH-F. I get the same 2F message. I have two samsung 32GB sticks, tried them in pair and one by one, no dice.

Removed my M.2 drive and all drives, no dice.

Updated bios to latest version (from 1.1 to 1.4), no dice.
I'm curious .. is the board you purchased brand new from an authorized reseller or used previously?
What exact model of Samsung 32GB ECC UDIMM modules are you running?

I have the X11SCH-LN4F, so shares same BIOS (v1.3) / Firmware (v01.23.04).
I use 4 x 16GB MTA18ADF2G72AZ-2G6E1 - on SM certified/validated list.
Currently, both M.2 slots are occupied with Inland Premium 1TB and 500GB NVMe drives.

The only time I have seen hangs (not delays), is after reconfiguring things in BIOS without a full shutdown.
I have never seen it hang otherwise.

intelligence

Jul 12, 2020
Should be brand new, not purchased from an authorized reseller though, just a regular PC parts reseller.

I'm using two sticks of M393A4K40CB2-CTD from Samsung. They're not verified by Supermicro. I'm sending them back and have put in an order for two sticks of M391A4G43MB1-CTD instead, which are verified by Supermicro.

The M.2 I'm using is a Corsair MP500 120GB